My dachshunds behavior on walks

Megzy

I took my dachshund on a walk today . It was a great day not too hot or cold and we were walking around a lake . We barely started when my dog just stopped, turned around and started walking the other way . I don’t pull on his leash but he was pulling me the other way. And I kept telling him to come on I waited patiently for him to come and he just wouldn’t come. I’ve had this issue in the past but I know it’s because of the cold weather he doesn’t want to walk, but today in the nice weather I don’t understand. Has anyone else had this issue with their dog ? What do you think his issue was and why didn’t he want to walk around the lake ? It seemed like he just wanted to go home.

CaseyKC

Maybe he sensed something or smelled something that he interpreted as danger and decided that discretion was the better part of valor. Once, after a visit to her potty place, my little girl absolutely refused to enter the garage. Nothing, not even a treat would induce her to go through the people door, which was open as I must not have shut it tightly. I picked her up and carried her through the garage into the house and heard some strange sounds. I left her in the house and went back into the garage to investigate the sounds. It was a porcupine, so I raised the door that the car goes through, grabbed a broom and assisted the porcupine outdoors with the broom where he or she ambled back up the driveway and into the woods. Annie knew there was "danger" in the garage while she was still outdoors and she wished to avoid a confrontation. Perhaps your dog smelled something that he didn't want to meet personally.

Megzy

Thank you for your response . You are probably right . There was tall grass and something must have been in there!