mini eating feces, getting agressive, wont calm down.

kittiekatt

I understand my mini is a puppy and full of energy and curiosity.

About 2 weeks ago i noticed that he started getting horrible breath. (maybe i should mention that my puppy is pee pad trained and outdoor trained, he goes both places, though learning that pee pad trained dogs not caring on if its a pee pad or a towel that fell on the floor was a hard lesson for me lol) Anyways i noticed around the same time as his bad breath started that he wasnt pooping as much as normal, instead of 8 to 10 little popps he was pooping only 4 or 5 times a day and they were getting bigger, i figured its just cause he is growing up and holding it longer. Then last sunday i saw him barrel into the kitchen with something in his mouth, and it didnt look like one of his toy, upon investigation it was a piece of feces he just made and he was plying with it and eating it. I told him firmly no and made him drop it, got him out of the room, cleaned it up and used the anti potty spray so he wouldnt choose that as a new potty spot. now i keep catching him trying to eat it every time he goes, and his breath is still horrible and im assuming he is pooping elsewhere and eating it before i find it (lets be realistic you cannot have your eyes on them 24/7) ive looked it up and i have found he isnt attention deprived, he gets outdoor time, but its limited due to the fact that his sniffer helps him find the mushrooms that havent popped out of the ground and he has a mushroom and dandelion fetish and well eat them, and mushrooms are very dangerous, he is definitely not bored between toys and attention (even if im working he is within my area but blocked by a babygate from the children and even then he still gets pets and cuddles and love, im worried its his food but when we got him he was being fed adult beneful and we switched him to royal cannine puppy he is currently on 3/4 of a cup for his weight spread into 3 1/4 cups through the day, he has been fully switched for 3 weeks now. He is worm free and his anal glands dont seem to be a problem though i am having them professional checked and squeezed if needed on tuesday.

The next thing that is starting is aggression. i know Doxies are very protective of what is theirs, he has chosen me to bond with and is fine with everyone else, unless they go near me. He constantly tries to hump my husband, daughter, and our Rottweiler, he has tried a few times with me but not often. As well as if our rottweiler comes near me he turns into a growling nipping ball of fur and i tell him no and press his muzzle away when he is nipping at her. He also growls at my daughter if he is asleep when she comes to me, once he wakes up and realizes its her he stops and starts playing with her. And then there is my poor husband if he comes near me he starts nipping him and if he isnt in my arms he tries his damnedest to hump him, though he rarely growls at hubby and his tail is always wagging when he does it.

He recently has started digging, i know thats in their nature and understand, we have a sandbox set up for him outside but i cant think of anything for indoor that would keep our landlords from killing us. He takes his treats and pig ears and runs around whining and yelping and trying to "bury" it anywheres, corner of the couches, between dvds on the shelf, in his blanket in his kennel, in our bed (we have steps for him to climb up and down on the couches and bed) anyways this seems to be a huge issue for him to the point that he will "worry" like a mother dog over her pups around the vicinity he chose to "bury" it and get very aggressive if out other pup goes near it, and he also seems unsure of me when i go into the area as well.

I was also wondering how long it normally takes till you can get your puppy to calm down and listen to commands, i am training him but he is just like a child that has a seen a shiny thing and that is normal but i feel that it would help him a lot in calming down if i can get his attention easier and get him to relax.

These are the things i am asking help for, im worried that if these arent taking care of he is going to be sick from the feces and a nervous wreck if he isnt comfortable. So if anyone can think of anything to help him i would appreciate it.

Nutty Buddy

A lot of dogs are poop eaters and some even eat their own poop. It’s gross but, from what I’ve read, more common in puppies and most dogs grow out of it. They do have pills you can give a dog to help deter them from poop eating. I’ve never used them and not sure how old a dog has to be to take them. I’d ask a vet about them just to be on the safe side before trying them if you choose.

When puppies are teething their breath can be quite awful even without eating things they shouldn’t. I remember when Buddy was teething his front smelled just like his back.:eek: It was terrible and I wondered if it’d ever get better but it eventually did.
:D

Lupita

Sounds like you have a normal mini Dachshunds puppy!

Unfortunately, the solution to all these problems is a lot of work. I know it feels like you are already putting lots of effort into him- and you are- but there are still more things you can do to help him.

First; the poop-eating/housetraining. A good quality food will make a big difference. When I started my puppy on raw food (nature's variety instinct raw bites) she went from pooping 6 times a day to 2-3 times a day, and her poop is small, firm and has almost no odor.

To ensure he's not eating it, you need to go outside with him every time he does his business. I still go outside with my 10 month old pup every single time she needs to go potty, because she is terrible for getting distracted and then finishing her business inside the house.

I also highly recommend you stop with the puppy pads and switch his potty area to outdoors only. It is so confusing for them to sometimes be allowed to go inside the house, and as you've observed, a towel or clothing seems just like their toilet area.

Next the nipping/growling:
This is totally normal, but he needs to be re-directed to chew toys instead of people. Play/petting stops entirely when he starts nipping, and a toy offered instead. The growling is a sign that he is anxious or uncomfortable. This is where proper socialization and training come in. I didn't see where you mentioned your puppy's age. Puppy classes, once he's received his shots, are invaluable. He needs to learn how to behave around other people and animals, and you will learn about reinforcing good behaviour, what is "normal" and what needs to be discouraged, and how to train for behaviours you want.

It's also really important for him to have a safe place where he can go and not be bothered by the kids or your other dog. A crate is really good for this, since you can cover it with a blanket and it will feel like a cosy little den for him. Crate training is also essential for any dog, in the event of injury or illness or for traveling.

If you have questions about any of this, I'm happy to share what I've learned. Feel free to message me about specifics.