Mini Dachshund vs Standard Dachshund?

NancyD

I was told by my breeder that my Mickey is a Mini Dachshund. And I see his parents have a new litter and the puppies are listed as being between 5 - 8 lb as adults. Mickey is 6 1/2 months old and weighs 12 lbs!! He's certainly not overweight as you can feel his ribs when you pet him.
I looked up the AKC standard for mini dachshunds and it said a mini dachshund will be under 11 lbs at an adult. So do you think Mickey is no longer a mini dachshund? I figure he'll probably be a good 20 lbs as an adult.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I was told by my breeder that my Mickey is a Mini Dachshund. And I see his parents have a new litter and the puppies are listed as being between 5 - 8 lb as adults. Mickey is 6 1/2 months old and weighs 12 lbs!! He's certainly not overweight as you can feel his ribs when you pet him.
I looked up the AKC standard for mini dachshunds and it said a mini dachshund will be under 11 lbs at an adult. So do you think Mickey is no longer a mini dachshund? I figure he'll probably be a good 20 lbs as an adult.
I certainly hope not! At 6.5 months, he'll be almost fully grown He might gain one more pound (mostly in muscle), but that's it. Unless he gets overweight. I adopted Mouse at 5.5 months old... she's gained 2 ounces since then.

Last edited:

NancyD

Really? Almost full grown?

I didn't know he is almost full grown! I guess I was thinking of him like an English Bulldog (our previous dog). They don't reach their full size until about 3 years old.
I don't really care how big he gets I just thought it was kind of funny that the breeder is advertising that his full brothers and sisters will be between 5 and 8 lbs when he is so big. He's so adorable to me and I like the idea that he might be about as big as he's going to be. Thank you for your response!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I didn't know he is almost full grown! I guess I was thinking of him like an English Bulldog (our previous dog). They don't reach their full size until about 3 years old.
I don't really care how big he gets I just thought it was kind of funny that the breeder is advertising that his full brothers and sisters will be between 5 and 8 lbs when he is so big. He's so adorable to me and I like the idea that he might be about as big as he's going to be. Thank you for your response!
You're welcome :) Small dogs dont grow much taller after 6 or 7 months. They do fill out and develop their muscles, but no taller.

jazzaria

That was some nice information.. I had been wondering if Spekkle was going to get much bigger... She is just over 6 months and all of just over 4 lbs soaking wet.... She seems so small compared to other minis that I have seen... But the vet says she isn't under weight... I do remember them telling me that she would probably never reach 8 pounds and that 5 would be great.. I don't realize they stopped growing so soon....

bazzais

Mine are sposed to be mini's but I've wondered as my boy is just a bag of muscle now - I'm sure the weight of his front end actually justifies the fact he has such big pudgy paws. I'm waiting for him to learn handstands or something.

I spose its a good thing really as it means he cant go down a hole he cant come backwards out. I had to dig up a slate floor when he was a pup cos he had gone after a rabbit and was lost for a day. I spent 3 hours with a pick trying to dig him out only to find that when I did get the floor lifted and caught a glimsp of him (literally with the rabbit next to him) he looked at the rabbit, the rabbit looked at him and he went back in the gap.

I guess he was just preoccupied.

I'm gona have to weight him now to see what he is - got no idea with such a small weight.

Baz