Mini Dachshund Health Question

struble

Good morning all,

I recently adopted a miniature dachshund/beagle mix. Her dad was pure bred and mom was long haired mini and beagle mix. I know dachshunds are known to have health problems relating to their bones/back but I was wondering if anyone could tell me with her being mixed would that possibly combat the health risks associated with Dachshunds? She was the only one of her litter to have long legs and I like to think that this will help with possible back problems in the future. (I tried to get a picture of her so you can see how long they are but she kept moving).

On a side note, I want to make sure I am feeding her enough. When we went to go get her spayed she had lost a pound. She weighs about 7lb and is almost 6 months old. I am feeding her a little over 2/3 cup of Royal Canin a day. Does this sound right for a 6mo pup?

Thanks for the help!

Stephanie

Attachments

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK!

What a lovely pup! Dachshunds are prone to bad backs and the best way to avoid this is to keep them fit and healthy and to try to avoid letting them jump from any height. Your pup is a mix and this should help with those problems.

As for weight, as your pup is a mix its hard to tell what their adult weight should be but from the pictures I would say he is a tad underweight, not a lot so no need to worry its better he is fit and healthy than overweight! At six months they are usually still on two meals a day. I would be guided by how hungry he is, if he ever leaves any food he is probably getting too much, if its all gone in seconds and he is looking for more then maybe increase a bit.

Good luck and I hope you have years of fun ahead.

amy2

First dachshunds are prone to back problems because of their long back, if your little puppy has the same structure, it might be prone to the back problems. You could read more about IVDD in dachshunds here. Anyways keeping some extra caution is a good choice!
Regarding feeding your dachshund, you should give the right amount as obesity is another big issues in dachshunds which leads several other problems. They generally needs 500-900 calories a day depending on their size, age and activities.

Tikki

Stephanie - I know this is not a new thread and you have not posted again since your OP, which is a pity as it would be nice to hear how she has gotten on how, but she should not have been spayed at under 6 months-old and only weighing 7lb - but that is just my opinion. Also at that age the usual is to feed three and not two meals a day. I do not think she looked underweight in those photographs - such a lovely little girl and beautifully slender.

My skinny one is now ~6 kilos at 15½ months but then her dam was a massively large and obese full Doxie whereas her sire a Minpin. But her vet would not spay her until she was at least 6 months old and weighed at least ~6 kilos, which she was, and she has not gained. But I do not feed commercial dog food, she has raw, although that was my choice and everyone is entitled to their own.

Regarding spinal problems, it depends on whether she has the Doxie long back. My devil has longer legs and a shorter back, and muscles that make her look as if she is on steroids! She can, and has, taken a flying leap over a 1metre gate that was supposed to keep her in the salon and from getting into the rest of the bungalow [now removed as there was no point in keeping it] and onto a bed which is a double height is nothing to her.

The thing with mixed breeds is that you never know which dominant part will be inherited by the puppy.

It would be nice if you could come back and tell us how she is, and post some more photographs.

Thank you