Looking For Feedback - Lymphoma

franko3219

Hello All,

I hate for my first post to be about something depressing, but my wife and I have a six year old miniature dapple dachshund (Dixie), as well as, a 5 month old Dobe. She is our first dog and since we have no kids yet, our dogs are our kids.

I am looking for anyone that has any experience with their dachshund and possible lymphoma. The other day I was petting Dixie when I noticed a swollen area right below her jaw on her neck. My wife and I took her into the Vet and they informed us that it was a lymph node and the vet also mentioned that she thought other lymph nodes felt slightly swollen. The vet took a blood sample and the sample came back normal for all tests. We know that the next step is to have the lump aspirated, but I guess I am just grasping for straws at this point, praying to God that it is not cancer, as to what else it could possibly be? I feel that the lymph node that was really swollen has gone down a little bit, but also feel like the lymph node on the opposite side of the neck has gone up slightly (although no where near where the other lymph node was). I have read everything I could find on canine lymphoma and swollen lymph nodes, but am just curious if anyone else has been in this position before and had it not turn out to be lymphoma?

Dixie is a great dog, with such a personality and as a dog owner, we know that at some point we must part ways with our little companions, but it is very frustrating to know that the average lifespan of dachshunds are twice the age of our little girl and that dachshunds are one of the least likely breeds to be affected by lymphoma. I just cannot imagine losing our little girl this early.

Penny

Hi and welcome! Glad you're here but sorry for the situation that you're in.

I think the best thing to give you peace of mind is to have the lymph node aspirated, tested, and go from there. You can handle what ever needs to be done, and it might be that it's something very treatable. What happens if she needs a good dental cleaning and the infection from there was causing the lymph nodes to swell?

Keep us posted, and when you have a few minutes, please post some pics and tell us about Dixie. Love the Dobes too.