Longhaired dashchund needs hair help!

Pongo

My doxie, Pongo, is a 2 year old, twelve pound, red, long haired dachshund. He has perfect health, but he has short, fuzzy fur. When he was a pup he had the typical short fur on his body and long, wavy fur on his ears. As he has grown his fur on his tail has grown a little so he has a little poof on the tip, but no fan. He has also developed this fuzzy, instead of sleek, fur on his sides. His body fur is longer than a smooth haired, but the fur on his chest and underside is not long like the breed standard. He gets supplements from his vet, I brush him everyday and I don't bath him too often. Is there anything I can do to make his fur sleek? Will his fur ever grow longer? Thank you!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
hmmm, what supplements is he on? I give Mouse (who has allergies to metal causing hairloss) Rosemary, Olive Oil, Salmon Oil and ground Flax (all added to her meals with a Joint supplement Kelp for digestion and anti-oxident and Parsley for teeth and breath). It's made a HUGE difference in her coat! All my dogs get the same, but Mouse is a good example.

I dont know if anything will help your dog though, if he has a shorter/fuzzy coat genetically.

Cell

my friend has a long hair with the same "buffalo fur" instead of sleek coat. It is probably he has a longer undercoat then top coat giving the fuzzy look.

Pongo

DeafDogs:
He gets a multi-vitamin, flax seed oil and ground, and a joint supplement. He sees a nutritionist at his vet so his food and supplements are well rounded. His vet tells me that his fur just is the way it is, yet many people who have longhairs tell me that his coat may not be done growing til he is about four years old. Is this true, he is already two now so I would have thought that he was done growing both in body and in fur.

Cell:
"Buffalo fur" is exactly what it looks like. I never thought about his undercoat being longer.

Thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated! I adore him no matter what his fur looks like, I am just curious if there is anything else I can do or if anyone knows if it is done growing at his age.

Paradachs

Get a Long Little Doggy
I see this a lot when one of the parents

was long haired and one short, or came from mixed coat breedings.

WillysMama

My 9 yr old mini also has "buffalo fur". We noticed it after his first winter. I thought it was just his winter coat but it never changed. His ears are nice and sleek and he has a beautiful tail but when his fur is long, it stands on all ends and looks really funny. A few years ago we started having him groomed during the warm months and he gets a short cut that makes him look like a mix between a short and long haired. He looks adorable with the cut although people have a hard time figuring out what he's supposed to be! :p

Pongo

Paradachs:
I've heard that a lot, but I know both his parents were long hairs... with beautiful coats too! Maybe, it was a gene that was recessive with them?

WillysMama:
Pongo's ears are nice and sleek too. His tail was broken as a pup and since it is crooked he has a poof of hair at the tip, but not a "flag" (I'm just guessing the broken tail is the reason why, but maybe it's not). I recently gave him a trim on top too (kind of like a Cocker Spaniel cut, but blended and just short enough to even out his coat). We have very mild winters where we live so it doesn't bother him. I know exactly what you mean about people getting confused. Actually, most people I've run into don't seem to know of any other kind of dachshund than the smooth haired... so I'm always getting questions about what kind of dog he is, but especially now that I've trimmed him.

I'm glad to hear other people have had experience with this. I was worried that something could be wrong with him.

jezzz73

hmmm, what supplements is he on? I give Mouse (who has allergies to metal causing hairloss) Rosemary, Olive Oil, Salmon Oil and ground Flax (all added to her meals with a Joint supplement Kelp for digestion and anti-oxident and Parsley for teeth and breath). It's made a HUGE difference in her coat! All my dogs get the same, but Mouse is a good example.

I dont know if anything will help your dog though, if he has a shorter/fuzzy coat genetically.
Hello, I'm new here. Nice to meet you all.
I have a problem that i cannot seem to find a solution to. I have a 4 year old long haired mini dachshund, Gabby. Gabby seems to keep nibbling at her tummy and her tail. She has almost no fur at all on her chest and belly and the tail seems to be getting worst.
I mix in Mira Coat O3 with her dry food that i feed her twice a day. She has been to the vet and i was advised to give her this oil supplement. Its been a few months. I have not been seeing any improvement. Apart from this, she gets her usual dose of milk bones and shoes. She eats abit of fruits almost everyday.

Do you recommend I change her oil supplement? Im at a lost now. She keeps biting her tail and the area is just a white patch with healing wounds.

Gubbles

Hello everyone, I just adopted a 5 month old male long haired mini not too long ago, and he has a fur problem that I'm unsure to be concerned about our not. He has gorgeous long fur everywhere except for his tail. Being as old as be is, there should be a flag coming in. But instead, he has more of a smooth coat tail (I call it his rat tail). It seems like his fur is all fluffy around his bum area, but as soon as it hits the tail, its smooth and thin.

Now I adopted him from the same breeder I bought my female from, and I haven't had any problems with her. She is now a little over a year and her fur is coming in beautifully. I know that he is fully up to date on his shots, and completely healthy, so I don't think it could be a health problem... maybe? I also know that both of his parents were long haired.

When I pet his tail, it feels very thin and boney compared to my girls tail. I'm not sure if thats because she has more fur than him or not though. But I remember my girls tail being thicker thans his when she was a puppy.

Does anyone has any information on something like this? He's still beautiful to me, but I am just a little concerned. I'd love to see his flag grow in! I've attached two pictures below to show what his tail looks like for better explanation.

Attachments