Longhair dachshund coast

harleyboy

Hi everyone, I am new to this Forum. I would like to ask if there is anything I can give my 2year old longhair for his coat. He was neutered 6months ago, and his coat has changed. He is very fluffy now and his "FUR" is very dull and has faded. He also has very bad breath even though his teeth and gums are good. (I work in a dental office). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Barb

Hi welcome!

I would add some wild caught salmon oil to the diet (You can get it on Amazon). works wonders for the dog and the coat. Remember that old coat needs to grow out. Also try a grooming stone to get rid of the fuzzies without pulling long coat.Look at Youtube for hints on using the stone.
If you feed a kibble you might try a baked rather than extruded kibble it has more nutrition in it.

I have to admit I am a raw food person but my dog has glowing coat and great muscle. No bad breath, that is an indication of either dental or gut distress. I use Knowbetterintheraw.com It is actually easier and cheaper than you might think. I buy chicken breast, thighs or pork loins when on sale always less than $2.00 a pound and my cost is 0.67 a day for my 10 pound mini. No harder to make than a cake.

harleyboy

Thank you for the reply, I also have an issue with Harley's weight. He just turned 3yrs, and has gained 2lbs since being neutered. I give him 1/3 cup of Purina diet maint. 2x's a day, but would like for him to loose that weight with extra walks but so far that has not helped. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I have never owned a dachshund before and I am well aware that they have back problems

Barb

Best would be to eliminate the carbs from his diet. Canines have no need for carbs. Increase his protein. Do not worry about the amount you give him just watch how he does if he loses slowly good job if he maintains just decrease his food he obviously does not need it . If he gets too thin increases. It is actually pretty easy if you look at it like that. Unfortunately us humans can open the fridge or pantry and do ourselves in. A fat dachshund is not a healthy one due to the back issues.
The big food companies add carbs because they are cheap and needed to make the mash to extrude not because the dog needs it. Add all the parts of a product to see how much is actually in the food, so if it says corn, corn meal and any other form of corn it would actually be much higher on the ingredient list.
I do not recommend feeding just chicken or other homemade raw food for the dogs it is not nutritionally complete. But do your research and see what works for you.
I love a freeze dried pellets of a well balanced meat based food to travel with. Same nutrition since heat kills a lot of the helpful vitamins and enzymes but freeze drying does not.
Also the ADA only means that it meets the MINIMUM nutrition for your dog, in other words it won't kill him.
A good probiotics is also a good idea.

Good luck!!

Doxie-Tees

Hi - look at the ingredients in the dog food and treats you normally feed him. If you see BHT, BHA or calcium carbonate, I would suggest making a change. Also, be sure to brush your long-haired dachshund regularly.

CaseyKC

My Annie gets 1/4 cup in the morning and one at 5pm. Promptly! She seems to know exactly when the big hand is on 12 and the little hand is on 5. She will let me know if I am even a few minutes late. If I have left over lean meat or chicken, I shred it, reduce kibble in the cup and add a tad of water. She thinks the lean meat is a special treat. She is just over 10lbs.