Long-haired fur question...

sherlock

Okay so Dr. Watson is a 1 yr old half long-haired half short...he grew out of his puppy fluff months ago, but recently I've noticed some fur on his hips and back legs, and on top of his head that is super fluffy. I'm wondering if maybe he has more long hair coming in, or if this is just his winter coat? Has anyone else seen something like this on their baby?

snjeung

I'm also curious about this.. but I can't figure out whether mine is long-haired or short-haired.

When we first got Lovey (which was three months ago), they told me he's a long-haired cream mini dachshund, but the fur on his back & legs are short and the fur on his ears are a bit long .__.

sherlock

How old is Lovey now? I can find some pictures of Watson when he was that age so you can compare :) He got long hair on his ears first, though, then tail and back legs. The hair on his back is still short though!

snjeung

Lovey is 6 months old :) and hmm.. then maybe his hair will grow out like watson :D
A picture would be great!

sherlock

Here's one of Watson when he was about 5 months old. I don't have any good one at 6 months. Like I said, he is half long-half short, but he was also the only one in the litter of 4 who had the long hair trait!

You can see the long on his ears and the pre-long fluff on his front legs. What you can't see is the little tuft he had on the tip of his tail before his flag grew out!! Oh, and the fluff ( that I could totally stand up into a mohawk) on his head...that later went away without growing out, but it's starting to come back now...

Attachments

snjeung

Yup! Lovey currently looks just like Watson in that picture except the fur on his ears aren't as long and he doesn't have that mohawk xD
I'm guessing Lovey is also half long-half short

This is him right now

Attachments

Last edited:

sherlock

Yeah, I just looked at the photos you posted in the pic board. Lovey is SO cute!!! Definitely looks like Watson, with the ears, legs, and chest. I read online recently that some long-haireds don't come into their full coat until 2-2.5 years old! So they both might be getting much longer fur :)

sherlock

He is so darn cute! I want to give him cuddles!!!

Also, if you want to see more pics of Watson (full body pics, too) you can go to his facebook page. If you go to his photos and then "photos of Dr. Watson C. Dog" there's a bunch that I posted on my page and tagged him in.

snjeung

Omgg Dr. Watson is SO cute!! I'm loving his mohawk and the black streaks on his ears!! :D :D Oh and nice jacket Watson!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
So here's the thing. Shorthair is dominant over long hair, so there really isn't a "half and half" there could be a bit of incomplete dominance going on there, but often the longhairs dont have long hair over their backs. but you should see feathers on the legs, tail and ears. It sometimes takes awhile for the hair to grow in fully. But if your dog has long hair on his ears as a puppy, than he is a long hair.

sherlock

Oh really? Very interesting! I always just figured he had ended up with a weird mix of the two traits.

HilyBee

I've had two longhaired doxies now. When they are under 1 year old, their coat length will vary in places the most. My first one had a faux hawk as we called it until he was three (extra long fur on his head). Their paws, ears, tail and legs seem to grow the fastest while their back, belly, neck, hips, etc. grows much slower. My first LH didn't have fully "mature" hair until after he was three years old. The vet and groomer told me it was completely normal for an LH doxie to take up to three years for their full coat to grow completely. I regularly trim my doxie's paws, legs, ears and tail but let everything else grow out. Just make sure you brush them out really well so they don't matte and their fur will grow out to be gorgeous, even if they are half short and half long. Most groomers will leave those little tufts of hair unless you ask them to trim it off. I think they are cute. :D

BarbC

I have 2 long hairs from different parents. They are 4. They have really gotten there full coat in the last year. And they are so different. Mac has long fine hair... A "plume" of a tail... Scruffy ears...ringlets down his a side that have to e clipped or he trips on them. Mia, on the ire hand, has very thick and dense long hair.. A bit of hair on her tail, but nothing like Mac... Silke ears and the furry hobbit feet ever! They are my first long hairs. It has been interesting to watch their coats develop. I plan to "clip" Mia for summer. Not drastic! Just a but of a trim and thinning. She gets so hot!

Your Watson is definitely a long hair... Looks a great deal like Mac.