long haired Dachsy coat growth

honeysdad

Hi to everyone. We're new to the forum having succumbed to the charms of Honey, an 8 week old long haired miniature ( she's 3 months now). Her ears have a good growth of fur but, apart from a little at the top of the front legs, the rest of the coat is short including the tail. Does anyone know at what age the long coat starts to become obvious? I guess it's not an exact science but thought maybe there would be a period when the coat begins to show some growth.

Nell

Hi and welcome from Hertfordshire. Sorry I cant help you re hair growth as I have never had a long haired dachshund but I am sure someone will be able to advise you, the forum is full of good tips and advice!

Penny

Hi and Welcome! I have smoothies too. lol
You can call the breeder and get a better idea because from what I understand, some doxies take longer than others to get their coats in. The breeder should know where the parents are on that.

Are you sharing any pics with us?? lol

sherlock

Hi! Welcome from TX!

I am mom to Dr. Watson, who is also long-haired. His ears and tail tuft (not a flag, just a little bit that stuck off at the end of his tail) started growing when he was pretty young, but he didn't start getting long fur anywhere else for a long time...maybe around a year? Leading up to that, though, he did get really fluffy. He's almost 2 now, and it's still growing. It seems to get longer every time he gets a new coat, either growing his winter coat, or shedding it for summer.

However, a lot of long-haireds don't get the full long coat like you see on show dogs, with the full curtain on their sides, etc.

I don't know if it will help, but you can go to Watson's facebook page (link in my sig) and if you look at "photos of Dr. Watson" you can kind of see the subtle changes in his coat over time (although the dates aren't right on all of them because at one point I uploaded a bunch of puppy pictures all on one day.)

I hope that helps some, and I hope we get to see some pictures of Honey soon!

honeysdad

thanks

Thanks to you all for your replies. Dr Watson is a very similar colour to Honey and the early pics are very like honey (see pic). We'll just have to wait and see. In the pic she is only two and a half months old.

Attachments

jarredfeet

Growing long hair surely exciting to watch but could take long, our Jarred is not long-haired but few of his doxie buddies here are which I would try to ask.

sherlock

Thanks to you all for your replies. Dr Watson is a very similar colour to Honey and the early pics are very like honey (see pic). We'll just have to wait and see. In the pic she is only two and a half months old.
Oh so precious!! Yes, she looks a lot like baby Watson!