Life of a dog?

Inkeri

Crufts' biggest diva eats sirloin steak, has twice-weekly blow-drys and pedicures... and is FAR too posh for walkies | Mail Online

We have a new Crufts winner. Wow! Beautiful dog, but such a sad story. At least I think so. There's no doubt the owner loves her dog, but:

"The hair around Elizabeth’s face is carefully braided out of her eyes today. Elizabeth accepts all the grooming with the grace and stoicism befitting a lady of her class. She is a living, panting, barking (only very occasionally) canine version of Barbie.

Yet when you look her, you can’t help pondering, with a tinge of sadness, that this is a dog that has never chased a squirrel, scratched a flea or sniffed a lamp post in her life.

Would it, I ask her devoted owner, be totally out of the question for Elizabeth to rough it a little, now and then?

‘She’s far too precious to take out for walks,’ explains Margaret, a 59-year-old retired social worker. ‘That’s not to say she is kept indoors all the time — she has to be kept fit and healthy. She can run around in the back garden for exercise.’
Best in Show: Margaret celebrates with Elizabeth after her beloved pet won the top trophy at Crufts last week

Best in Show: Margaret celebrates with Elizabeth after her beloved pet won the top trophy at Crufts last week

But even the garden has been specially crafted to suit Elizabeth’s status. The vegetable patch and flowers have long gone, replaced instead by paving stones which can be kept scrubbed, bleached and hygienic at all times.

‘She can be walked on grass in the summer, when it is dry and short, but we couldn’t risk twigs and mud getting into her coat. In the house, she sleeps in a special dog crate in the kitchen, where she’s put if ever we are out or busy.

‘We couldn’t have her roaming about freely, in case she had an accident and hurt herself. If she broke a leg falling off a table, or accidentally swallowed something, she’d never show again."

So so sad!! The dog has everything, but the chance to be a real dog. :(

What do you guys think????

walkies.html#ixzz1pRf62E24

vizzla

Yes its so sad that the dog becomes more of an item than a living beeing. Shes kind of egoistic. She dont seem to look at her dogs need.

For me its very sad to meet owners that never looks at their dog at walks for exampel. They dont want to learn how to read their pets signals. The dog slows down and want to pee but the owner just walks right on, draging the dog forward.

I never do that. I always try to read my dog, to see his significant signals of what he wants. It is so fun and make me better friend to my dog. He doesnt have to lay down by the door or bark when he wants to go outside, I have learned to see his needs before him.

vizzla

Me personaly I would like to see that kind of handling of a dog as criminal as dog abuse....We dont have the right to make them something they arent.

Inkeri

Yep, almost criminal indeed. The dog has "everything" - food, shelter, daily grooming etc.. But nothing that makes a dog happy - and dog. That dog is over protected and propably already so depressed that she's become this "diva" who doesn't like to play. And btw, the article says that this lady has 20 dogs. How wonderful.

I don't think that these ppl should be rewarded for keeping their dogs like this. :( Dog-shows are nice (although I don't think the dogs like it that much), but when ppl start over-doing things like this, it's not nice anymore. It's cruel.