Question Knotty Tail

Oma Carol

Hi, I'm a retired Veterinary Technician of some 40 years. I recently purchased a Dachsund puppy, 8 weeks old. He is a mini, Dappled Silver, and Black with brown leggings and tummy. He is lovely and meets the standards for his breed except, he has a knot at the end of his tail. It is as though someone tied a knot in order to pull him out of a hole! I purchase him to save him because most people did not like the defect. His tail is not hindered in any way except appearance. I may have it x-rayed out of curiosity.
Has anyone seen this defect before? I am guessing crowding inutero from a large litter caused the kink. ANY THOUGHTS?

CaseyKC

I recently read about about tail kink in dachshunds in another dachshund group. The general consensus was, 1. as you mentioned, over crowding in utero, or 2. damage that may have occurred during the birth, and 3. a possible genetic trait carried and/or passed on by either the dam or sire. The good news is, unless you are planning to show your dog in the ring, a kinked tail will in no way affect the health or well being of the dog in question.