kink in tail

pepper

ok so we have been waiting for our puppy for a few weeks now, and the breeder rang me to say they were born a few days early and the black and tan girl has a bent tail.
the tail bends up at the tip back onto itself (by about 1 cm) and so it looks stumpy at the tip.
has anyone come across this and is it an indication of spinal issues.
puppy is now 3 days old.
should we continue with this pup or look elsewhere. :confused:

Nell

At three days old I think its probably too early to tell. It may correct itself or could be a deformity the puppy has been born with.

Of course it also depends on what you wanted from the puppy, did you want a potential show puppy or a pet?

I have a rescue dachshund cross border terrier who you could say is bordering on disabled, his gait is the worst you have ever seen lol! unfortunately his frame is far too big for the short legs, but I love him to death, he has the sweetest nature you could ever imagine, loads of personality and I wouldn't change him for the world!

I also once had a Pointer bitch who had a car accident that paralysed her tail due to nerve damage, she couldn't wag her tail for two years but eventually the nerves repaired and she regained full feeling and a very waggy tail!

This pup may have damaged her tail in utero or during the birthing process, or it could be an inherited weakness, without the opinion of a vet its just too hard to tell, so I think I would try to give it a little longer to make the decision if you can.

Last edited:

jarredfeet

Have no experience here either but that would be interesting to know. Hope that doesn't indicate or cause any issue with the pup.

scootaloo84

One of the pups in my puppy's litter had this same problem. The vet had said it was because of the amount of puppies in the litter (there were 7) this pup's tail was bent in the womb and so it just grew that way. I hope this helps. That pup is just as sweet as could be and it's owners were considering in backing out of the purchase. I was going to take it if they backed out cuz I was sad that someone would not want her based on something that wasn't her fault. If you want the pup for show, however, it is best to look elsewhere as the ANKC would not allow such a pup to enter I would think.