Is your doxie bossy?

NancyD

I told a friend that I am adopting a mini-doxie, dapple long coat puppy and she said "Oh no! Doxies are the bossyist dogs in the world". Although I fostered a mini-doxie for a few months I've never raised one. Do you think they are bossy?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
They certainly can be. but if given proper rules, training and socialization, they're awesome dogs. I rescued a 6.5 year old Doxie who is deaf and sight impaired, with major resource guarding... it only took 4 weeks to cure him of it using positive methods only.

Some advice for you

1- never take anything high value away from your dog, (trade them for it), that leads to resource guarding

2- make your new puppy work for everything it considers valuable (petting, couch time, food treats) make him/her sit, or lay down or shake etc.

3- do not force train, or use dominance methods on your pup, it will often lead to behaviour problems and/or fear

4- socialize the heck outta your pup, pass him/her off to people for a cuddle, hand them treats to give her/him, let him/her play with other dogs, but make sure they dont hurt him/her expose the pup to many different situations, and give LOTS of positive feedback for appropriate behaviour

5- protect the pup's back, do not let him/her go down stairs or jump off of furniture.

6- lots of regular exercise, starting with short walks when really young (approximately 15 mins for each month of age after 2 months is all they can handle)

NancyD

Thank you!

That's very helpful advice. We'll be doing lots of walks as the weather is so nice right now. I have 2 chihuahuas who need walking also. The breeder wanted me to pick him up at 6 weeks old but I'm paying extra to let him stay with his mom until he's 8 weeks. I think that extra 2 weeks will give his mom time to teach him some good doggie manners. Then I'll finish the job for the rest of his sweet life. I'll post pictures when I figure out how to do that.