Injured Dachshund....Advice please

jakepen

Hey guys, I have a five year old dachshund, a little overweight, just all around stocky... about two weeks ago he started acting weird, avoided, the stairs, sporadic breathing, just not himself. Took him to the vet, got some pain pills, he has good days and bad days. Sometimes if he gets to excited, I think, he hurts his back, and will shake. These last two days, his back legs are sliding out on him. Has anyone had these issues in the past? Please any past experience, or advice, thanks guys..

CaseyKC

You need to read Penny's post, "Does your doxie have a back injury?" about 5 posts down from this one. Also put back injury into the search place above.

Penny

He likely should have been crated from the first symptoms. Carry out to potty, use a sling for the back end, carry back to crate. If going to the vet, ride in a crate.

Please go to dodgerslist for support.
Keep us posted.

jakepen

He likely should have been crated from the first symptoms. Carry out to potty, use a sling for the back end, carry back to crate. If going to the vet, ride in a crate.

Please go to dodgerslist for support.
Keep us posted.
Thank you. Oscar has a wobbly back end. With strict crate ing, there is a chance for recovery? Also where can I get that back sling?

Penny

Yes, he can recover! Use a spare leash or a scarf to support the back end.
Cut back his food a bit so he doesn't put on extra weight while on crate rest.

What's the pain med he's on? Some pain meds must be given with food.

jakepen

Yes, he can recover! Use a spare leash or a scarf to support the back end.
Cut back his food a bit so he doesn't put on extra weight while on crate rest.

What's the pain med he's on? Some pain meds must be given with food.
I'll check the pain meds in a minute. Oscar has never been crate trained, he doesn't really like them. Will he get use to one? I have him in there now, and he is whining. This added stress won't do more damage will it?

jakepen

Also do I leave him in there all the time? What if I'm laying in bed, his favorite thing is to lay with me. Do I just keep him in the crate instead? Also I have a one year old weenie running around, should I keep him away from Oscars crate?

Penny

Yes it's better if he could relax in his crate. Please go to dodgerslist and chat with folks who have a lot of experience with dealing with this. Please keep your vet updated with what is going on. They may have some helpful advice.

Edit: We posted at the same time. Do not have him up on the bed with you unless you put him and the crate there with you. You can bring him from room to room so he's not by himself.

Last edited:

Penny

I made this, like a pillowcase but doubled up fleece. It kept Georgia cosy at night since she had to sleep by herself..

Daytime...