Inconsistent poop schedule

jake1133

My puppy is 5 months old now. She is fed 3 times a day, 1/4cup each time. She is fed at 7am, noon, 5pm.

When you read online everyone talks about how dogs poop at very consistent times. Not my dog.

One day she will poop once the whole day, another day she might poop in the morning sometimes and then in the evening. Sometimes she will poop after every meal but that is very rare. The most consistent poop is at about 4am, which I would love to try and figure out how to stop that from happening.

So is this normal for dachshunds? Is there something I should do to get her on a consistent schedule? Will she get on a consistent schedule as she gets older?

Nell

Hi Jake, dogs can be a bit like humans, some more regular than others so to speak lol!

As for the 4a.m I agree this is not ideal! At the moment your pup still needs the three meals a day (this can be cut to two after six months and this will also help) but if you think of a 24 hour period then there is a long gap between the 5p.m feed and the early morning feed, I would suggest trying to move the 5p.m feed to a bit later.

Think of it this way if she eats at 5p.m and needs to poop at 4a.m then try to give the last feed at 8p.m then she shouldn't need to go till 7a.m, worth a try?