I thought it was a bit quiet.

Tikki

Yesterday evening at way gone 8pm it was, for once, pleasantly warm. In other words not boiling hot. The door is open from when Tikva and I surface in the morning until she goes to bed, usually a bit earlier than me, giving me time to collect her toys from outside and inside and everywhere they can be found, but I realised that I had not seen her or heard her bark for a while. Total silence outside as the little shop across the road closes at 8pm and there is virtually no traffic after that, but where on earth was IT.

Called out for her and she shot in within seconds, with about 10cm of her leash clipped onto her harness. OK so it was not a strong leash but a fancy one which came with a fancy harness [which was far too blingy], the rest of the leash, and her tether still being outside. Rummaged through the cupboard for new stuff and she now has a rather [I hope] strong leash at the end of her tether. So that was that sorted.

I have no idea where she had been but I do not think she had gone out of the front yard because as soon as I called her she shot back in as fast as lighting, and even with virtually no traffic my yard is only metres from the road even at full length of her tether.

She has a leash tied onto the end of her rope tether and has ripped her mesh harness where the trigger clip is fixed on once before when rushing out to see off something or someone, in that case she stopped just short of the pavement and came straight back as soon as I called her. Another time the D-ring which the trigger clip clips on - well, it was not closed properly so that was the end of hat harness. Needless to say I will not use a mesh harness on her again.

And one time she came in having walked out of a vest type harness, leaving it outside still clipped onto her tether and then came in and zonked off on the couch. I almost gave up on trying to find a decent fitting harness that did not cost a fortune, but have since found some perfect harnesses which have four-way adjustments so I can adjust them to fit perfectly and can be worn loose enough not to rub and yet are Tikva-escape-proof. I hope.

This time? The leash had torn [well it was a pretty one not a strong one] but as soon as I called her - ZOOM - she was in.

OK so she is not such a well trained puppy but she will not go run run, and with a recall such as she has, who cares.

Oh how I love that little girl. :D

Tikki

Thinking about this - why do some people think that because their dogs do all sorts of tricks that is the important thing? "Roll over" - "Give me a paw" - "Give me the other paw". Tikva does not do tricks - she will "sit" for a treat, but "sit" and "stay" when it is dindins time? You gotta be joking. Sit, yes, but as soon as she sees the bowl it is a flying leap to knock me over before I put her bowl down. That is her evening "wet" meal of raw meat and vegetables with her supplements. Her morning meal is a frozen chicken wing or neck and she will, just about, "stay" while I take it out of the polybag from the freezer.

But she will not go run run and has a recall which is almost unbelievable.

I just wish she would come out for walks, with me on my wheels, but she will not. And no way would I ever force her to do something she does not want to do. She has muscles like she is on steroids so gets more than enough exercise chasing around the yard but she seems to have a switch that switches off when she gets near the edge of the yard.

Strange little puppy.