how to tell if a Dachshund is purebred

mazie4398

hello everybody I am new to this forum this is my first post :p
anyways my question was that I recently got a Dachshund puppy from my local shelter she is a 4 month old long haired puppy and she seems to look and act like a Dachshund (I am a little bit experienced with the breed because I have had a Dachshund for 16 years) but the one unusual thing about her is the fact that she has very long legs and I just wanted to know if she was a purebred or not I was also curious if she was a sable color dachshund I will enclose a picture of her below for better reference. hope someone can help thanks

Last edited:

nola

I can't see any of the pictures :confused: But if it's the dog in your avatar I'd say he's probably not

nola

I got the error message too, but now I see the pictures. What a cutie!:D I still don't think she's full:)

mazie4398

update: I just got a hold of shelter apparently the reason that the breeder gave her up was because she has very long legs and a bit of knuckling. she is apparently full doxie (so I am told) I am no expert on coloring and was wondering what color she would be. somebody told me that she could a sable coat because of the fact that she has red hair roots with blackish tips see pic here Dachshund Forum : Dachshund Breed Dog Forums - mazie4398's Album: maize the doxie - Picture I have also herd that she could be red with overtones of black. thanks :D

Inkeri

I don't think she's full breed either. But i think that you can never know that for sure if you don't know the parents. :)
She's a beatiful dog anyhow. :)

We went to the weenie dog races in Buda, Texas last spring. The announcer said they had longer legged dachsunds claiming to be purebred in the past.

And added that they turned one away that was knee high.

So, that made me wonder.

On another note, my son recently adopted a stray, they asked the vet to do a DNA assessment. I think the assement came back showing genetic code from 12 different kinds of dogs, with Boston Terrier being the most prevelant.

If you really want to know, you might find someone who does the dna eval. My son is not rich, so the test is probably affordable.

mazie4398

We went to the weenie dog races in Buda, Texas last spring. The announcer said they had longer legged dachsunds claiming to be purebred in the past.

And added that they turned one away that was knee high.

So, that made me wonder.

On another note, my son recently adopted a stray, they asked the vet to do a DNA assessment. I think the assement came back showing genetic code from 12 different kinds of dogs, with Boston Terrier being the most prevelant.

If you really want to know, you might find someone who does the dna eval. My son is not rich, so the test is probably affordable.
I was thinking of doing that :)

nola

I really don't think she's pure:) She's beautiful either way though, and thanks for rescuing her.
I've bred and shown/worked Dachshunds for 4 years now. Here's a picture of my Dachshund Nola, and she's a red sable.
These pictures were outside midday at the beach, and she still looks very dark till you get within a few inches of her

Attachments

PrettyPenny

Definitely not pure bred. They might have given her up because another male got to their bitch and she was the only puppy that came of it. (Since puppies in one litter can have different fathers.) Working line dachshunds have longer legs, but definitely not that long. Not a purebred, but she's a cutie.

Kitaku

i can see her eye shape is doxie and ear leight. paws and legs seems like terrier. torso and body shape not doxie's, maybe some ancester somewhere