How Much to Feed?

Georgiapeach

I just got a rescue standard doxie Friday when his first foster mom didn't work out. Max is 4-5 months old and currently weighs 15 pounds. He's at a good weight, but doesn't need to lose any. The rescue typically feeds Pro Plan Puppy, but after two feedings, Max was already getting itchy, so I asked the director to let me feed something else. I'm now feeding Wellness Complete Health Puppy, which Max is doing well on.

My question is, how much to feed? I want him to develop properly, but not to become overweight, as I know it can lead to back and joint injuries. His former foster mom free fed, so she had no idea how much he was eating. :( I can't do that, b/c I have 4 other dogs, including some real chow hounds. They'd have a field day with food left out - lol! I'm feeding Max 3x daily for now, and will reduce it to 2x daily if I still have him at 6 months. Is that okay?

The directions on the bag of Wellness say 2 1/2 c. daily, but that seems like a lot of food. What are your thoughts? I know there are better foods out there, but I needed a reasonably priced puppy food available at Petsmart, because the rescue is affiliated with this store.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

GJBain

I just got a rescue standard doxie Friday when his first foster mom didn't work out. Max is 4-5 months old and currently weighs 15 pounds. He's at a good weight, but doesn't need to lose any. The rescue typically feeds Pro Plan Puppy, but after two feedings, Max was already getting itchy, so I asked the director to let me feed something else. I'm now feeding Wellness Complete Health Puppy, which Max is doing well on.

My question is, how much to feed? I want him to develop properly, but not to become overweight, as I know it can lead to back and joint injuries. His former foster mom free fed, so she had no idea how much he was eating. :( I can't do that, b/c I have 4 other dogs, including some real chow hounds. They'd have a field day with food left out - lol! I'm feeding Max 3x daily for now, and will reduce it to 2x daily if I still have him at 6 months. Is that okay?

The directions on the bag of Wellness say 2 1/2 c. daily, but that seems like a lot of food. What are your thoughts? I know there are better foods out there, but I needed a reasonably priced puppy food available at Petsmart, because the rescue is affiliated with this store.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
We feed our almost 1-1/2 year old standard 1 cup a day of Earthbound Ocean Fusion and she is at a perfect weight, 20 pounds.