He's driving me crazy

Gail2

I have three doxies, Sadie and two of her pups who are almost 8 months. I've been putting off having them altered until they were a bit older, since Lilly is really tiny.
I had a apt for later this month but a few days ago I noticed Lilly was coming into season so I rescheduled and got her fixed on day 3 of her cycle. This was just a couple days ago, she is doing well but Winston is beginning to act like she is coming into full season. He is whining constantly and has that stupid "lets make babies" face that studs get.
I'm assuming that Lilly is still producing enough hormones to drive the poor guy looney, any idea whether or not she will still have a somewhat "normal" cycle as far as hormones and the scent she is producing? I'm really hoping Winston is over this by the time he goes in for his surgery on the 16th.
Any tips to help cover the scent she is producing would be great to. I'm going to try vanilla tomorrow.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Some say that spaying a dog during her heat will make males interested in her for life. I dont know if that's true or not. I expect hormone production will continue, as things started, however I have no idea if it'll be a full cycle or not (I doubt it). Be careful, if he ties with her while she's still healing, she could end up seriously hurt.

Castrating your male wont help right away, as it takes a few months for his hormones to leave his system. My little girl is still intact. I'm not going to spay her (though have NO intentions of breeding her!) as she is allergic to metal, including the surgical tools used at the vets, and I dont want to risk her.

Gail2

Oh, I really hope it doesn't make him interested for life, I might end up strangling him. So far he isn't trying to hump but I'm watching for it, thats the last thing I want to happen.

I probably wouldn't have him altered at all but he has a retained testicle and it has to be removed. I'm really kicking myself for not having this done sooner.

otis

I dont want any one to judge me about what I am going to say, I have never done this, but My family and friends are big into coon hunting (not me). Being that they run the hounds in groups, if a female is in heat I believe I was told that they put a little vicks around the females area, I am assuming it covers the sent a little.

Gail2

Though I'd post a little update. I ended up using vanilla extract on Winston's chest and the back of Lily's legs to help mask the scent. It seemed to help some and after about three days he calmed down.
Winston was neutered 3 days ago and all is well.