Help with teaching "hush"???

sherlock

Dr. Watson (1 yr) is a serial barker...we live in an apartment, so we can often hear people outside talking or coming and going. He likes to bark at them. He likes to bark when I come into the living room (when he's in his crate). It's the worst when someone (myself, SO, or roommate) comes home. Sometimes I swear he's barking at absolutely nothing.

Getting his attention and saying "hush" wasn't working, so we moved on to a spray bottle. He barks, we say "hush" and give him a spritz or two. It's still not working!!! He cowers when he sees one of us pick up the bottle, but he will keep barking. How to I get my little guy to just SHUT UP?!

MatthewLP

Do you dogs have a good understanding of "No"?

reason why I ask is. They can get confused with what their owners are asking. "NO" means "NO" regardless of what they are doing wrong. They clearly associate no chewing on furniture to no barking, to any other "No-No's".

Second suggestion I have. Make sure they see you face. Dogs do look at their owners expressions with a strong disapproving face and strong "NO".

Third Suggestion: There are things you can do to nip it in the bud ahead of time. Do people come at home at certain times. Do the dogs act fidgety or growl before going into full bark mode. Do their ears perk up? A lot of times they know smell or hear things before we do. Do they sit in the living room waiting? You can break up these behaviors ahead of time.

Fourth Suggestion: When people knock or ring the door bell. don't answer the door until the dogs are under your control. My dogs know not to come down the stairs when the door bell rings. They want to bark but I "NO" them with my Index finger, They see my face. when they are Calm I open the door. Of course I'll get the bark a few times but I'm quick to "NO" them again and come back to my guest.

And lastly I don't condone barking generally speaking. However They are a hound breed and some of its natural to them as an alert. so they are more prone to the barking and harder to break but it CAN BE DONE.

I look at my doxies often when I see they are "Up to something". They have Tail Tail Signs in there facial expressions and I try to nip it in the bud before the barking starts.

Be persistent and consistent. You can say "NO" 10 times and they will get one last "Bark" in there.

They are a Stubborn little cuss and this may not be totally effective alone and may have a more firm approach with a combination of techniques.

Hope this helps.

Matthew Plummer
{Kansas City, Mo}

sherlock

Awesome, thank you!!! He's our only boy. He does seem to have a good association with "no" and he knows when he's in trouble when it comes to other things. We try not to let him bark at all, unless we're playing a game. But thank you for all of the suggestions, I'll try a few different things and see if we have any results!

MatthewLP

just another suggestion.

Might want to consider "Play barking" Might be sending mixed messages and encouraging the barking. No means no with no expections. Growling and little yipes not so bad. Your little boy needs to understand whats allowed and what't not. So just food for thought.

Matthew Plummer
{Kansas City, Mo.}