Help!!! Tough HOA with screeching pup

Capt. Pickles

Hi guys, I live in a community with two HOAs and my pup hates being outside. He is 8 weeks old and only the 2nd day he's been here so I don't expect much, but I can't have hime screaming all day when he's outside because I'm worried about the HOAs and my neighbors complaining. How can I help him quiet down?
By the way I'm new to the community, my pups name is Capt. Pickles and he is an 8 week old, short-haired dachshund. He is my first dachshund and I know they're stubborn but if there's something I can do I'm very open to anything.

vizzla

Do you leave him by him self?

He is very little yet so I dont think you can expect him to calm dow yet. Let him be around you as much as possible and let him create a safe place at home where he can be calm and left alone if he like. You need to be around him as much as possible. He is just a baby.

Steph

I hate to ask, but why is he outside all day when he's only 8 weeks old? He's far too young to be left out all day, especially by himself.

Have you tried working on crate training? If done properly, your pup will feel safe and will not scream all day long, in fact he will settle down and sleep most of the time while you are unable to be with him. Below is a link to website that gives you tips and tricks to crate train a puppy.

Crate Training In The Right Way | Crate Training Puppies

3Cats&aPup

I'm also wondering why he's outside all day long?? I got my pup Hamilton two weeks ago at eight weeks old from the SPCA (who made us sign an agreement that the dog would not be left outside!). He is getting into the routine of being in his pen when we go to bed at night and just a few days ago started just walking right into his crate and laying in his bed and going to sleep, but he still gets upset during the day when we go to work, or if we walk through the baby gate to another room for a minute. It took time though for him to get used to the routine. We had to train OURSELVES to find things that worked better for HIM. I would find a safe place for your pup to be in the house when you can't watch him, and slowly get him used to being in that place. We spent time sitting in his pen giving him treats, and getting him in and out of his bed in his crate, etc...

Capt. Pickles

No he's not outside at all, only to potty,sorry to confuse you guys, I meant that even just the couple of minutes he is outside to potty he is crying, whether I'm right next to him or not. The crate is the same thing, crying the entire time he is in there as if someone were strangling him. I have kongs, chews, toys of all kinds but he still whines. He whines if I don't look at him 24/7.

Steph

Ah, gotcha. Sounds like he needs to have some confidence built up because he needs to be a piece of velcro (stuck to you 24/7) He is young, but this is where you can use his insecurities to make him a little more confident and able to handle being left alone. At this age, he's like a little sponge, so start teaching him the basics - sit, down, you can try stay or wait, but he might not catch on to that one just yet. Remember, lots of treats and praise. With his brain working on learning, he may forget whatever reason he had for whining. Exercise works too. The more tired he is, the less he's apt to whine. teach him to play fetch - yes, doxies can learn to do it, I taught mine how to do it as a rainy day thing where we really couldn't go out to play. Roll the ball instead of throwing it for now.

When he's in the crate, try leaving a radio or something else on for noise. You can also try covering the crate to make it more den like. You've got the right idea with the kongs and toys - does he have a favourite stuffy? Surprisingly, that calmed my guy down when he was just little. It was something he could snuggle with and I'm assuming that it took the place of Mom and littermates. To date (he's 8 months now) he still sleeps with that one particular stuffy and hasn't destroyed it like he has his other stuffies.

Good luck :)

Capt. Pickles

Thanks for the advice Steph, it really has been helping, my boy is definitely a lot better. He has learned sit, he can stay, leave it, and he doesn't howl in his crate anymore!

Ilovemylily

I got my pup when she was just 8 weeks old too I tried the crate training and started using the plastic Ones my dog hated it she cried none stop I switched to a wire cage and she loved it right away she sits and watches everyone one and if she gets scared thats get comforting place! She is almost three months now and is very good with her crate and potty trainin