Help! My dachshund is sick.

catmash

https://www.gofundme.com/37vhjy4c

I'm Victoria and I'm a full time college student. Missy is a 9 year old Dachshund Mini, adorable and friendly, and a big part of my life. Last Friday Missy stopped eating and drinking, didn’t want to walk or go outside. Saturday morning Missy was experiencing a lot of pain, we ended up at the Animal Emergency Center. The Veterinarian told us that the X-rays showed (IVDD) Intervertebral Disk Disease in her neck and upper back, which is pinching her spinal cord. This disease is very painful and will cause paralysis if it is left untreated. Missy is confined to her crate most of the time now and is on pain medication, muscle relaxers and an anti-inflammatory. This is not the way she should live. She is eating very little and is drinking small amounts of fluids. Missy cries continuously and she is still in pain. If there is no improvement in the next few days then we must proceed with surgery immediately or Euthanasia. Even if she improves, we can only keep her on the medication for approximately 6 weeks and at that time we are faced with the same decision. Expenses are adding up quickly and surgery is very expensive. Missy and I need your help so she can have the medical attention she needs, medications, braces, surgery and hope for a better and longer life. All donated funds are greatly appreciated and will go directly to Missy's comfort.

https://www.gofundme.com/37vhjy4c

Penny

Please go to dodgerslist, a website for families dealing with spinal cord injury in their doxies.

If she is not comfortable, work with your vet to manage her pain better. She can recover from this! Many doxies have had a full recovery from crate rest and meds and your sweet girl still has the use of her back legs.

The vets here in Canada will not do surgery unless the back legs are paralyzed and they have lost bladder and bowel control.

Good luck. Hoping for much better days ahead for Missy.

amy2

Its very emotional and painful to see your little love in such a pain. IVDD is quite common in dachshunds and we should always take preventive measures to protect them from back problems. And if you see any of these symptoms of IVDD, you should visit a vet.