HELP! Brand new puppies, mother died!!

chadallan

I just had 8 puppies Born, with complications and the mother is dead.
Please feel free to give me advice on how to care for the new babies.
This was very unexpected and I'm doing the best I can.
I have them warm. under a heat lamp checking them with infrared thermometer for the temp. Fed them the first time 1.5 to 2 ml with a syringe.

can you please tell me anything extra I can do to ensure their survival?!
Puppies are about 4-5 days premature.
Thanks
Chad

Nell

Hi, I am so sorry to hear your news, I too have had to hand rear puppies the mum gave birth to 10 live puppies suckled them and then when the 11th pup was still born she rejected them all!

Its very hard work, they need to be fed every two hours, day and night. I hope you are using a formula special for puppies as this really is essential. A syringe is a good start, get some warm water and some cotton wool and gently stroke the pups tummy after feeding (to stimulate wee and bowel movement) make sure you completely dry their tummy after as they chill easily if they get cold. Keep the puppies warm at all times.

Also remember if they have not received colostrum (first milk from Mum) their immune systems will not be that good so hygiene is also really important.

My heart goes out to you, when this happened to me my vet said I will never cope and wanted to put half down! There was no way I was going to do this so the only way we coped was by doing the feeds in shifts, but it was as bad as having a new born baby because of the lack of sleep!

It does get better though and its very rewarding.

The only other thing you could try is to find another litter close by and hope the mum will accept the extra pups.

Good luck, please let us know how you get on.

Nell

Just another thought:

If you do find a possible surrogate the best way to get her to accept a puppy is to get her smell on it first. If you can get the mum to wee on a puppy pad and rub this on the pup (without soaking it! lol) before she sees it she may accept it a bit easier.