HELP!! 9 week puppy can't be left alone

Lucygilbert

Hi there,

I have a 9 week puppy named Alfie, we have had him for 2 weeks and were told he was 8 weeks when we got him, but in fact he was 7 weeks. So basically he is happy to sleep all night downstairs in a crate with an attached puppy pen so he is never actually locked in the crate, but during the day i am trying to get him used to being on his own as I will be going back to work next week, and he will be own his own for 4 hours at a time, but he will not settle he literally screams. I left him on his own gradually for longer and longer to try and get him used to it but he doesn't settle at all!! The only time he has settled was when I left him have the run of the house but I'm worried he may hurt himself if I do that while at work, please help!!!!

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,

I have a 9 week puppy named Alfie, we have had him for 2 weeks and were told he was 8 weeks when we got him, but in fact he was 7 weeks. So basically he is happy to sleep all night downstairs in a crate with an attached puppy pen so he is never actually locked in the crate, but during the day i am trying to get him used to being on his own as I will be going back to work next week, and he will be own his own for 4 hours at a time, but he will not settle he literally screams. I left him on his own gradually for longer and longer to try and get him used to it but he doesn't settle at all!! The only time he has settled was when I left him have the run of the house but I'm worried he may hurt himself if I do that while at work, please help!!!!
We had a similar problem with our Female. She would cry all day. When we got our second dachshund she stopped as she was just lonely. Try leaving a shirt or something you have worn with him. Or leave the radio on..