Hello

Tooter71

Hello. I am getting ready to foster a 9 1/2 week old Doxie-Schon. After 3 wks of fostering we would like to adopt permanently. I have talked to several friends who say we are nuts. That these dogs are very hard to house train. Now I'm a bit worried as this is our first "house dog", outside of dog sitting. Can someone please give me info on training tips. Does anyone else out there have a Doxie-Schon. Is it as terrible as everyone is telling me!!!

CaseyKC

I just looked up Bischon Frise. My guess would be that combined with dachshund stubbornness, you may wish to buy stock in the carpet cleaning supplies and machines market. It said that Bischon Frise are notoriously difficult to house train. You may have your hands full. I suspect though that if you follow well established suggestions for potty training, are patient, and crate or leash to you if there is no outdoor performance, eventually your new foster will get the idea. Google different ways to succeed. I personally took puppies out every half hour, praised when they performed as if they found a way to achieve world peace and had a treat ready to feed on the spot. Non performance resulted in a sad sound from me, no yelling allowed, no treat, and then, either being leashed to me in the house, or crated with another opportunity in 15 minutes to half hour. Remember, at only 9 1/2 weeks he is still a little baby and will have accidents. You need to focus on building a routine and getting him out. Can we PLEEEEZE see a photo?

CaseyKC

Amelia? They are both adorable. I have a granddaughter, (human,) named Amelia.

I have to confess, that right now, I am the last person in the world to be giving advice about potty training. I have had dachshunds since the 1970s. All of them were puppies when the came to live with me, and until my current little girl, I had eventually been able to to get them to be reliable in going outdoors to do business.....until Annie, my current little girl. I got Annie from a wonderful breeder in September ,2018. She was, at that time, 4 yo, and had quite a few emotional and behavioral issues. She is afraid of almost everything and everybody, except for me, and barks her foolish head off if anyone, including my husband, enters our home. She was also a lot harder to potty train than any of the puppies I previously have had. This past summer I thought we had the "do business outdoors" problem solved, but then, December, when it got really cold (I live in New England, she began to refuse to make solid waste outdoors, she will pee outside in the cold, but that is all. I wonder if it is because she was born and spent the first four years of her life in Florida. Last year we rented a place in Florida to escape out cold New England weather ( last night it was -2 degrees fahrenheit.) The behavior of refusing to do business outdoors stopped and was fine until it got really cold in December. She will pee outdoors, quickly, without all the nonsense about sniffing around to find the perfect place, but no matter how many different places I point out to her, she refuses to produce solid waste outdoors, instead, she will run into the house and make a deposit there. Fortunately her waste is firm and easily picked up with a tissue and flushed, and it does not leave anything behind on the floor or carpet. We are currently reviewing the leashed to me or crated when she is in the house routine. All I can hope for is that once spring arrives, she will return to doing everything outdoors.