Hello to the board

dougbenefield66

Weiner Lover
I am new to the board.
I have had a mini black and tan dachshund named Lou for 5 years. Two years ago I was given a female and I named her Dishwater (she is a long haired chocolate and white piebald ...I think ).

She had puppies two years ago and they were four all long haired. One solid black....one black and tan.....and two fawn looking (light red).

Well, she had another litter on Thanksgiving. I would like to upload a pic and let you guys tell me the color. There are six. I know that three are some form of piebald, one chocolate and tan (which is beautiful), One solid black again, and one that I am not sure on the color . It is either a blue or an isabella (according to which sites I look on).
Anyway, I am glad I found this site and am looking forward to talking with you all about dachshunds.

Also, concerning breeding. Is long hair or short hair "dominant" in breeding?
This litter's pop is short haired black and tan and mom is long haired piebald.

bazzais

Hello, I just joined the forum today so a newbie as well.

Those pictures are just adorable! I cant answer you question but thanks for posting :)

I wanted to breed from my little boy (black and tan) but he only had one of his old boys descended and so had to have the chop and search :( - but I bought his sister from a later litter and she is lovely too.

I'm looking forward to what she may have :)

Baz

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I do believe that Shorthaired is dominant... and by the looks of your litter, you have 6 shorthairs. But then, hard to tell at this age. I think you have a blue puppy, but not positive. What colour is it's nose? If the nose is liver coloured, than isabella, it the nose is grey, then blue. The piebalds look like one black or black/tan, One blue or blue/tan, and one chocolate or chocolate/tan. Blue's often have Alopecia (hair loss) so I would, if indeed they are blue, be open about that with puppy buyers.

The pups are gorgeous! You should post pics of the parents too! We'd love to see them!

Steph

I'm going to agree with Deaf Dogs on your piebald puppies. The one pup looks blue (judging from the colour of the ear leather) with maybe a white stripe on its forehead - or at least that's what it looks like from the last picture, it could very well be the lighting used to take the picture, I'm not sure.

If that puppy is blue or Isabella, again Deaf Dogs is correct, they can have issues with the skin and coat so the new owner needs to be aware of it. I used to have a blue Dobermann and very recently learned that Dachshunds of the same colouring could have the same problems. Don't be shy about letting the new owners know and honestly, I would look up Color Dilution Alopecia or CDA so that you have a better understanding of what that cute little guy/ girl could have happen in the future (not usually until after 2 yrs, but it could happen earlier)

Good luck!

dougbenefield66

Weiner Lover
I'm going to agree with Deaf Dogs on your piebald puppies. The one pup looks blue (judging from the colour of the ear leather) with maybe a white stripe on its forehead - or at least that's what it looks like from the last picture, it could very well be the lighting used to take the picture, I'm not sure.

If that puppy is blue or Isabella, again Deaf Dogs is correct, they can have issues with the skin and coat so the new owner needs to be aware of it. I used to have a blue Dobermann and very recently learned that Dachshunds of the same colouring could have the same problems. Don't be shy about letting the new owners know and honestly, I would look up Color Dilution Alopecia or CDA so that you have a better understanding of what that cute little guy/ girl could have happen in the future (not usually until after 2 yrs, but it could happen earlier)

Good luck!
Thanks,
so if the pup is blue or isabella would it be irresponsible to breed it later because it can pass on skin problems?

Steph

Coming from the Dobermann side of things, most well-known breeders nowadays are moving toward not breeding for those colours because of the issues - as for Dachshunds, I'm not so sure. If breeding the dog is a priority, I would make absolute certain that I was not breeding to another dilute colour. Two dilute colours could definitely produce a pup that has all those problems and have them show up a lot earlier than they should, plus anything else that may be hiding in the parents genetic background.

I've heard that there is a dachsie breeder that does breed for those colours, but they do take a lot of time planning the breeding of whatever parents are going to produce one of the diluted colours.

Truly, honestly, I would just spay or neuter and just enjoy them for who they are and not worry about breeding...now that's assuming that they aren't going to be shown. In that case, I would contact someone that has bred for the colours before and get them to be a mentor.