Hello, I joined in hopes someone could help!!!

deb308

Ok I am the owner of a ten month old fixed male dachshund. His name is Quincy and he is a happy little bugger but he barks and barks and barks and I am at a loss!!!!! I have owned doggies all my life and he is the most difficult one I have ever trained!!! House training was a nightmare, and still its not totally down pact, if its cold out he refuses to go outside. He will take a quick pee in the cold, but as for poopies, he will not go! I can deal with that. This is his first winter he will remember, he is adjusting to sweaters and we are getting there with this issue. The issues of not sharing his toys, he is learning he damn well will share, I have three doggies besides him and seven cats he cannot keep all the toys to himself! That one with time will be much better he improves all the time. When he goes for walkies he is amazing, does not bark at others is learning to say hello to those who will let him and has gotten to see many others of himself! Our issue is with the barking which he does day and night. He barks at leaves, he barks at squirrels, he barks at the neighbours, he barks at night because the cats move, he barks at night because Felix (Felix and Buster are 11 years old and big boys - 100 and 115lbs, Felix has loved to sleep in my bathtub since he could finally jump in there himself) will make noise in the tub, his paws will scrape against the tub, he barks because is windy, he barks because its raining!!! Lets face it the dog is a barking terror! If you stay on top of him all the time and interupt the bark it stops, you cannot stay up all night to stop it, you cannot constantly run all over the yard to stop it. He has a huge fenced in area. He came to a home where I have, as I stated already, two big boys who needed the room and one miniture beagle who needed a friend so we got him Quincy. We have good days where the barking does not happen much and days were its pure hell!! Peter wants to get him a shock collar! I am appauled at this thought and been trying to find answer to help me stop him. The commanding him to stop barking, I have that, he does stop when I correct him, you cannot forsee what noise is going to get him barking at night, so I cannot even do anything to make sure it does not happen. This being woken up to the high pitched barking has got to stop, but I do not know how to stop it from happening... any suggestions!!! I have asked Peter to give me a few more months to sort this out, if I have not he gets to put the shock collar on Quincy! I have trained many dogs, no I do not believe in treat training then you just end up with fat dogs. They should listen to me without food on the line. I also cannot see how treat training would stop him barking at noises in the middle of the night. He does listen, I just told him no bark when he heard banging outside, he stopped asap. He does know the know bark command but does no good for new noises. How do I get him to stop barking at night!!!!!!

G

Gravhund

Barkers

Please don't use a shock collar.

Dachshunds are notorious barkers - I would invest in a trainer to come to your house and help you out.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
the best thing you can do is keep him close at night, x-pen, crate right in your bedroom, if he starts barking squirt him with water, or if he likes water, use a mix of vinegar and water. keep the spray bottle right beside you and squirt him EVERY time he barks, day or night. it's how I stopped Mouse from barking, tho I have the advantage of her being deaf and not hearing things to set her off.

hope that helps some!

starfish

Midwest US Region Moderator
I agree that a trainer would be a great solution. I would have to say that we dont punish in our house. I dont believe in punishing a dog for a behavior that is in their nature. I think a trainer would help understand why your little guy barks as much as he does...if he barks from anxiety you wouldnt want him to get even more anxious or even fearful from punishing him. I think that punishments could cause other issues and even health issues later. Good luck. We have followed Victoria Stillwell's training methods from Animal Planet and it works like a charm for us. I know that each doggy is different, but I like her approach to training. :D

L

lovemyhunds

doxie barking help

My Kyah used to bark a lot during the day when my boyfriend and I were at work. She did the same.... barked at everthing that made even the slightest noise. We ALSO had to do something. We bought a citronella collar and that helped a great deal. It does not hurt the dog, it just sprays them with a citrus smell that they find unpleasant, but it smells like oranges, so no harm done. The key is that you MUST be consistent. We would put it on her when we were gone during the day and then at night, but then take it off during playtime. You don't want them to associate playing with the spray, only barks. After about a week of this my dog learned that a lower frequency bark would not get her a spray. (The collar only responds to high pitched, very loud barks.) We did this for about a month. Now she will growl a little or have a low quiet bark before she barks. She does still bark, but only when somebody knocks at the door. It's not a cure-all, but it definitely helped a great deal. If you're situation was anything like mine, The constant high-pitched bark was the intolerable part. It seems now that she does more to judge a situation to see if it is worth a bark rather that just being hyper-responsive to every little thing. But remember, with these dogs consistancy is the key, whatever you decide. Hope this helps.

deb308

ok well thanks for trying to help. As for high pitched bark you think a doxie is loud get a beagle in there, thats loud and peircing and thankfully he does not bark in the house. LOL!!!!!! I know for a fact all the training in the world will not calm him down enough to get him to stop this barking. His training is coming along beautifully, I am totally reconized at the leader of my pack of four dogs. I tell em to come, they get their butts so me, all four wiggly butts!!! I know what you are all trying to say but when he is barking cause he's freaked other then doping the dog or shocking the dog there has to be a better way to get him to chill out..... I am getting a handle on the outdoor barking. Have learned that if I growl at him, it stops him dead in his tracks... got it... but as for him barking at night still no solution. Least maybe with the outdoor barking not so much anymore Peter might reconsider the shock crap.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Have you ever done any clicker training? Clicker training can be useful in getting a dog to stop barking by training him to bark on command, then be quite on command. I use clicker training with my reactive hearing dogs (I have 2 soon to be 3 deaf dogs and 2 fearful hearing dogs) I taught Ollie to bark (and say momma and click his teeth together silently) but also taught him to be quiet. He is a protective dog and will bark when he hears or sees something outside, but he will bark once then he's quiet after I ask him to be. clicker training is awesome, when done right. If you're interested, let me know and I'll go into detail.