Hello from California

FuzzyDoxie

Have a question? I bought a wire haired piebald doxie to replace our corgi who passed away from cancer a year ago. This is our second doxie, but have a question about grooming. For some reason she looks more like a cross between a long and a wire haired. People say I need to pull the hair and it will grow thicker and more like a wire haired. So what does that mean. I have attached a pic to show what she looks like.

Picture 001.jpg

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
It's called hand stripping. Properly stripping a wirehaired dog keeps their wire coat hard and proper. Shaving them will cause them to turn fluffy. I strip my terrier, as does my sister, not because they're show dogs, but because it keeps their coats hard and proper.

Basically, you will take small amounts of fur between your finger and thumb, and you will pull it out Here's some pics

Annabelle the hairy Westie

Annabelle the stripped Westie

Oliver during stripping

All Done

It's actually pretty easy, but time consuming for a large dog, your little Doxie wouldn't take me more than an hour, though at first it'll take you longer.

Steph

Your baby looks like what's called a Silky wire. They are a cross between a long and a wire. I'm not sure what the fad is with silky wires - maybe because the coat isn't as coarse as a regular wire hair. You can still hand strip the coat, there's also a grooming tool that can be used to strip the coat but for the life of me I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Gorgeous pup! Welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Your baby looks like what's called a Silky wire. They are a cross between a long and a wire. I'm not sure what the fad is with silky wires - maybe because the coat isn't as coarse as a regular wire hair. You can still hand strip the coat, there's also a grooming tool that can be used to strip the coat but for the life of me I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Gorgeous pup! Welcome to the forum :)
It's called a stripping knife ;) But I dont like them, you still have to use your thumb and I find it harder than just pinching :)

vizzla

It sounds like it is like hurting the dog? Pulling hair? How do you do it without the dog howling of pain?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
It sounds like it is like hurting the dog? Pulling hair? How do you do it without the dog howling of pain?
Stripping doesn't hurt broken coated dogs. Some dogs have more sensitive areas, so you just pull out a few hairs at a time in those areas. Or you cheat and use thinning shears in those areas, though that wont make the coat harder. We have to use thinning shears on Annabelle's throat and tail, but Oliver has never has scissors to his coat in 3 years.

All wire-haired breeds are stripped. I love the look :)