Harness for Mini Doxie

HarperNFynn

I have two Mini Dachshunds and they both have the same problem with every harness that I get for them, it rubs them causing sores under their front legs.
Does anyone know of a good harness?
I have found this site:
Hug-A-Dog Harness®
Does anyone have one of these Hug A Dog harnesses? They look really good, but for two dogs they will cost nearly $100 dollars!
Any suggestions would be great :)

Steph

I have two Mini Dachshunds and they both have the same problem with every harness that I get for them, it rubs them causing sores under their front legs.
That means that the harnesses are too tight and don't fit properly. When I had Arelus' harness made for him, the gentleman that fitted it showed me how to make sure that a harness fit properly. It's hard to explain without pictures, but I'll give it a try. He said that there should be at least a 2 finger span between the edge of the harness and the front leg area because there are blood vessels and nerves there that an ill-fitting harness will push on causing something similar to the pins n needles sensation we feel when our arms or legs "fall asleep" He also told me that it's hard to fit dachshunds and other long bodied, low riding dogs for harnesses because of their unique body structure, so it's wiser to spend the extra $$$ and have them fitted properly or custom made.

That link that is in the post before mine is great place to start looking.

Good luck!!

Pongo

Here is a link for a different site (Weenie in the Window):

Dachshund Harness- custom small dog harnesses for your wiener dog

They are custom made to your dog and are very similar to Hug-a-Dog (also similar in price).

I personally have never ordered a harness from them because the harness my little man uses doesn't bother him. I use what is called a step through harness, it is really easy to put on him and it doesn't rub him in is "arm pit" area. Here is a picture of a dog wearing one that I just got off Google images:

There is also a type of harness called the easy walk harness, I have never used it but it looks similar to the step through harness with even less straps. It is designed to be hooked to a leash under the neck instead of behind it, this keeps dogs from pulling which may help with the sores. Here is another Google image:

A well made, well fitted harness is a great investment though. You may spend $100 on a pair, but over the average life of a dachshund (12 - 15 years) you are only spending a total of $6 - 8 a year on them. And a good harness that has been taken care of should last that long... my mix breed dog is 13 and we have used the same harness on him since he was 11 months old. I hope you find something that works!

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
A front clip harness doesn't work with Doxies, it pulls up on their necks and that causes pressure to the spine. I use puppia harnesses for Boo, I went through a couple of harnesses before finding one that fit him properly, and didn't rub under the arm pit. Mouse has one too, but she cant wear it due to metal allergies. I am getting a harness custom made for her with plastic rings.

Product Details Pet Dog supplies - dog collar, Pet dog harness, dog bed, dog clothes, dog carrier and puppia harness.

Inkeri

Arja' art

These are very good leather harnesses. Manu and most dachsies i know use these. They have harnesses specially made for dachshunds. These last a lifetime. :)

dawnovan71

Love the hug a dog Harnesses!

All of our doxies have used these harnesses (we've had three doxies and had to buy multiple harnesses as they got bigger), they never get out of them, are great quality and are well worth the money. "Daddy" is very against dogs in clothing, so this is a nice cheating way for me to get something fun looking on my girls:)

HarperNFynn

Finally found a really great Harness!

I ordered two of these Puppia soft mesh step in Harnesses and they are awesome! They clip at the top and have double D rings. They wrap around my doxies lower and the leg holes are big so no rubbing! I am very happy with the purchase :)
Here is the site:
Puppia Harness Canada

MissHailey

Does anyone know of a good harness?
I have found this site:
Hug-A-Dog Harness®
Does anyone have one of these Hug A Dog harnesses? They look really good, but for two dogs they will cost nearly $100 dollars!
Any suggestions would be great :)
I have the same problem....:mad:

We have tried a few: soft quilted and a step-in made of strapping material. They seem to fit (were tried on in the store) but the problem is that with the long nose Milo can reach down his chest or over to the arm hole and chew. I can't get them off fast enough after a walk. My idea of fun is not darning dog harnesses after a hard day... So he is in a regular collar most of the time.

Do dogs get used to wearing a harness most of the day?

crazyeyez

HOWDY!!
I managed to find a pink harness for our mini at PetSmart. I had her with us and tryed on harnesses till i found one to fit her. I forget the price but it wasnt much, and fits her and we havent noticed problems resullting from it. I'll try to find a pic of it to postt.

Kitaku

i used a harness for a year and a half and it rubbed on his chest, he would lose a lot of hair and the vet told me to just wear a collar.

crazyeyez

HOWDY!!
havent noticed hair loss with the harness, but we dont keep it on her that long. we used to keep her collor on her all the time, but i did notice a bald spot from it, so now she only has it on when she goes out.