gah! ticks!

9ballprodigy

so i brought my 9 weeks old mini doxie home to my apt 2 weeks ago. my wife and i bathed it in a flea and tick shampoo the moment it got it home. we applied frontline plus to little Link 2 days later and just yesterday, my wife and i found about 4 mini ticks on him! really small and slightly red. i thought frontline was supposed to take care of them! now i worry that my apt is tick infested. does anyone have any recommended treatments for a puppy and also, an apt with carpet and fabric furniture?

i'm one of those people if you tell me i'm in a flea or tick infested room, i start feeling itchy... so i'm scratching myself silly right now.

jax's_mommy

I know exactly how you feel! Im the same way.

Try adams carpet treatment (i think its a spray or powder) It kills them. Thats all Ive ever used for it because it works. I believe its only 6.99 (or pretty close to that price) at Wal-mart, so not to expensive :)

kath

I use frontline on my Beagle and it doesn't always prevent the ticks from attaching it usually kills them after the fact.

babysis

Sometimes Frontline doesn't work when it should or it takes longer than it should. You will still see ticks on your pup but the Frontline is supposed to make the blood in the dog toxic to them. I have heard K9 Advantix kills ticks. I haven't used it so I can't tell you otherwise because I have not dealt with ticks. As for carpets and furniture carpet treatment is a good way to go. Vacuum the heck out of your place too and maybe spray a disinfectant spray such as Lysol on furniture and bottom of the walls where the carpet meets because that's where ticks more than likely hide (in my opinion).

9ballprodigy

i am reluctant to switch to k9 advantix because of reports and videos of dogs sick after application. as for the ticks, with frontline, apparently, they can die and stay attached for a couple days before they fall off. so i guess i will just have to deal with it.

Last edited:

babysis

I did not know about the reports of the k9 advantix until after I had told you. Ooops my snafu! Sounds as if it is something you're just going to have to fight (and itch along the way)! I know I have to check my girl almost ever single day for red fleas because they are ramped even with how much I clean because she goes outside. Best of luck in getting those blasted ticks!

LBandGauge

I was told by the Vet that the Front Line products that you get over the counter at the pet store or Walmart's is a knock off of the real stuff that can only be purchased or given by the Vet.