First Dachshund Question

Hi. We just picked up our 10 week old Dachshund puppy Jack on Friday. He still had his sister puppy with him sleeping together. My first question is that he whines all the time. I get up and walk into the kitchen and he whines. If my husband or I get up and go to the toilet he whines until he sees us again. It's insistant and has not gotten better through ignoring it. He will whine at the couch because he cant get up and we'll put him on it but in general his whining is because we arent touching him or he cant see us.

The first night he was excited in the new place and expelled quite a bit of energy. We put him in his crate and he fell right asleep. Last night we put him in the crate and he started whining and crying and shaking the crate. It went on for 20-30 minutes getting louder and louder before he stopped. He had a blanket, a chew toy, a puppy bone etc in his crate with him. He started up about an hour later and we took him out and pee'd, put him back in his crate and again with the crying, whining,shaking it for about 30-35 minutes. Then he stopped and slept. He did this 2 or 3 times I cant remember. Is the fact that he is stopping after a long time indicative that he will get used to it?

CaseyKC

LOL, this is a battle I lost 9 years ago. When Libby was 8 weeks to about 6 months old, we had her crate in our room with the crate door open. We would go through a bedtime ritual, encouraging her to lie down in her crate, covering her up with her personal blanket, tucking her favorite stuffed animal in beside her and eventually, she would settle down after about 20 minutes of rearranging her blanket, a little whimpering, and heavy sighs. At approximately 6 months old we were on a trip away from home and stayed in a hotel that allowed dogs. It was a Saturday night and there were several wedding receptions booked in the hotel. Around midnight, happy wedding guests were going to their rooms, loudly talking and laughing in the hallway outside of our door. Libby started to bark each time a new group of revelers went past our room door. To keep her from disturbing others, I scooped her up and put her under the covers in our bed. That was the last time she ever slept in her crate. Apparently she felt that our bed was also her bed, and the only place to be when the lights were out. That was nearly nine years ago and she has slept with us ever since....and I wouldn't have it any other way.