Fastes Dixie Run Lily Run

Nydia

OMG --- Lily is new to us 1 yr old and has been with us for 2 weeks. All has been going great, she gets along with the other pups, she poops outside, she's eating well.
Today I thought I would take them all for a ride so I put Thor and Streach in the car came back for Lily and the minute I opened the latch on the gate she shoved thru and off she went.
Faster than a speeding bullet --- down the street.
I thank God no cars were coming and that I can still run LOL. I was praying the whole time for speed and to be able to catch her. Well I did a 3 blocks later, man can she run!!!
So..... Looks like we will be working on the COME command just a hole lot harder and the STAY command also.
Needless to say we did not go for a ride today.
Got to love her :eek:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
My first deaf dog liked to bolt out the door when I first adopted her... Lots and LOTS of treats for looking at me, coming to me, sitting and such completely cured her, she is a seriously obedient dog now, with 100% recall who never takes off... such an awesome dog!

Basically, I always had her food in my pocket, she got only a few pieces of food in her dish, the rest she got for doing something. I started with giving her a piece every time she looked at me, then for coming to me, then for sit, then for different tricks... THEN I took it outside. she got food for looking at me on walks, then we worked on obedience moves, then one day, I let her off leash, she got a treat every time she came near me, which turned her into the ping pong dog LOL... then I started giving her treats only if I waved her in first, then changed it up, sometimes a game of tug, sometimes a treat, and sometimes a fuss.

Now I have a deaf dog with perfect recall :)

Mouse and Boo, However, not so much... they are true hounds, who's noses go down and they're done... I have not been able to do near the off leash work with them as I was able with Scout, as they cant see very well, either, and that worries me, so I'm afraid to let them off leash ever.

Nydia

Yes, I'm fixing to do some serious training with her, this little episode scared me to death. I was picturing her getting hit by a car the entire time I was running after her.
My other two are great they sit at the edge of the gate and no matter what goes by or anything they dont move till I tell them it's ok.
Well this is just part of getting a rescue I just wish I had known --- she had not even hinted that she was capable of doing that.
Little sneak keeping secrets! :rolleyes: