Expectations, help with managing

BerniesDad

Bernie, my 16 week-old puppy is in a bit of a strange situation and I need some help with expectations.

My partner and I recently purchased a new loft condo in Atlanta and we are packed and will be moving in a week at most.

We have done all the wrong things that people do when training him to date:
I rough house with him and let him bite my hands when we play
We have let him have full reign of the apartment
We have been really tolerant about puppy pad training
We haven't crate-trained him
He sleeps with us in bed
He has food and water available all the time

So my partner seems to think that 16 weeks is some magical cutoff time that if he isn't potty trained or if he still bites when playing...he'll never learn. I feel like he is still just being a puppy and that 4 months is not enough time to expect him to be full grown.

Any thoughts on how to manage expectations with regards to potty training and bite inhibition? Am I wrong or is he jumping the gun?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Inkeri

First of all, 4 months is still a puppy! :) Puppies are not even equipped to be housebroken as well as adult dogs before they're 6months old.

Water should always be available, but having fixed feeding times will propably help you with the potty training. Always take the puppy outside to go potty right after feeding him (4month old should be fed 2-4 times a day) and also right after he wakes up and right after you've played with him. Also, doxies tend to get over weight because they love food, so it might not be a good idea to have food available at all times in the future... ;)

Our youngest still has issues with biting hands and nipping (he's 2 years now). So, I don't have any advice for you on that one... Usually the nipping stops after 6 months when they have teethed.

What's wrong with having the dog sleeping with you...? ;)

I hope this helps you at least a bit!! Good luck with the training! :) And enjoy the puppy-time! It goes by so fast...

Penny

When an adult doxie comes into a new home, they learn. They adapt to their new family, new surroundings, new schedules, etc. They are very capable of learning well into adulthood. Why would your partner think otherwise?

Don't forget to practice with nail trimming and brushing coat and teeth, cleaning ears. Collar and leash training. He's just getting started in his new life with you!

We have a 10 month old puppy. I forgot about the brushing thing because my other 2 basically never need to be brushed but this little sweetie, with all her white hair, seems to shed a ton! We got a kong brush which is rubbery to grab loose hair, and she does the crocodile death roll. At the same time my other girl is pushing herself in the way so she can be brushed because she loves it. I usually end up covered in white hair which is a bit coarse and travels like needles into clothing. I wish I had thought of this sooner. lol

When you move the puppy will have to learn new rules at a new place. Be patient and consistent so he can learn faster what you want. Please be careful with the nipping thing. If there's a child that comes up to your dog and he nips, it will go very bad for him. You know that I'm sure.

Good luck! Please, post some pics, kay? :eek:)