Does your doxie have a back injury?

Penny

Please bookmark this page for yourself. It lists the symptoms of a back injury and when you need to go to the vet asap! Post it on your fridge.

FAQ: emergency canine back problem

Many families cannot afford surgery but have seen a very good outcome with crate rest and meds, but you must know the symptoms and get the dog in a crate and get the meds asap for the best chance at a recovery.

Be proactive. Know the signs. Know what the surgery involves, if you even have surgery available in your area. Be prepared so you can move quickly.

Our Georgia was walking very slowly when we called her. A reluctance to walk. In no time her back end went wobbly, like a drunken sailor. Thankfully with meds and crate rest she saw a full recovery and did not loose bladder and bowel control. We were very lucky.

The best thing you can do in advance is to teach your dog to relax in a crate. If they ever get a back injury they will need 8 weeks in a crate to give the spinal cord the best chance to heal. If they know how to relax in a crate it will make the healing process a lot easier on everyone. Remember, it's the difference between getting their mobility back or being paralyzed with no bladder or bowel control. Be proactive and do both of you the favor.

Georgia and her back end supported by a spare leash..

Getting acupuncture at a certified vet..

Her full recovery. We were very lucky! and blessed.

Inkeri

And remember to contact vet asap! Don't just wait and hope. Like it says in the article, "The last best chance for a good surgical outcome is within a window of 12-24 hours from losing the last of neuro functions, deep pain sensation (DPS). "

jakepen

The same thing just happened to my dachshund, only five years old. Slightly overweight. Reluctant to walk, wobbly back legs. My girlfriend and I can't afford surgery...So crate rest and meds (pain medication?) Is our best bet?

Penny

The same thing just happened to my dachshund, only five years old. Slightly overweight. Reluctant to walk, wobbly back legs. My girlfriend and I can't afford surgery...So crate rest and meds (pain medication?) Is our best bet?
Please see the vet and get the correct meds. They must be anti-inflammatories. And the sooner the better. Wobbly back legs is considered an emergency. Please get her in somewhere.

There are many people who have seen a full recovery but the doxie needs time to heal. It will take weeks, not days, so you have to be patient.

Start a new thread and keep us posted.

jakepen

Please see the vet and get the correct meds. They must be anti-inflammatories. And the sooner the better. Wobbly back legs is considered an emergency. Please get her in somewhere.

There are many people who have seen a full recovery but the doxie needs time to heal. It will take weeks, not days, so you have to be patient.

Start a new thread and keep us posted.
He's been to the vet, has anti inflammatory medicine, and pain pills. As far as the wobbly back legs, what can we do? I mean, is there permanent damage we need to worry about?

Penny

He can recover from a wobbly back end but he does have to have a full 8 weeks crate rest. It's a waiting game. If he still has bowel and bladder control, that's very good. Try to keep him comfortable and remember that he can further injure himself, which is why the crate is so important. If you think he can be on your lap, and the door bell rings, he may injure himself worse, so please try to keep him crated.

We have a vet that has her acupuncture for animals. We gave Georgia some treatments and she tolerated them very well. I don't know if it helped her or not but our thinking at the time was that if we didn't try it, and she didn't get better, we would have kicked ourselves.