Dietary advice needed

Bellissimmo

Hi,

I'm a new member so please forgive if I'm posting a frequently asked question.

I work as a fosterer for a small (general) rescue organisation. My current charge is a Dachshund bitch who is significantly overweight and I am looking for some advice on dietary tactics and targets.

So, some facts, figures and background... Her name is Gem and she is believed to be six years old and lived with an elderly couple. The wife sadly passed away and her husband gave Gem and their other dog up for adoption. On arrival (Tuesday 30 Sept 2014), she weighed in at 10.8 kg She is around 24 inches long (tip of nose to base of tail) and, on average, about 21 inches in girth - specifically 20.5 around the chest and 21.5 around the waist. She is currently on a mix of wet food and biscuits - around the same volume that I'm giving my Jack Russell, who weighs in at 7.5Kg. I am walking her three times a day around our 'block' which is about half a mile. First time out she couldn't manage the full distance without a couple of rests. Today, for the first time, she managed the full distance without stopping.

I'm hoping to get some advice on a target weight and a suitable volume of food - most guides talk about volume per kilo and I obviously don't want to be calculating food against 10.8Kg. I am hoping to get her onto raw food but I don't want to change too much at once, so I'd be interested in any opinions here also.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Barron

thank you Steve

Hi,

I'm a new member so please forgive if I'm posting a frequently asked question.

I work as a fosterer for a small (general) rescue organisation. My current charge is a Dachshund bitch who is significantly overweight and I am looking for some advice on dietary tactics and targets.

So, some facts, figures and background... Her name is Gem and she is believed to be six years old and lived with an elderly couple. The wife sadly passed away and her husband gave Gem and their other dog up for adoption. On arrival (Tuesday 30 Sept 2014), she weighed in at 10.8 kg She is around 24 inches long (tip of nose to base of tail) and, on average, about 21 inches in girth - specifically 20.5 around the chest and 21.5 around the waist. She is currently on a mix of wet food and biscuits - around the same volume that I'm giving my Jack Russell, who weighs in at 7.5Kg. I am walking her three times a day around our 'block' which is about half a mile. First time out she couldn't manage the full distance without a couple of rests. Today, for the first time, she managed the full distance without stopping.

I'm hoping to get some advice on a target weight and a suitable volume of food - most guides talk about volume per kilo and I obviously don't want to be calculating food against 10.8Kg. I am hoping to get her onto raw food but I don't want to change too much at once, so I'd be interested in any opinions here also.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Hi Steve, I'll watch for the good advice, I could use a diet for myself! I wanted to thank you for Fostering this dog. Your great.

Hunter's Parade

I'm not sure if you can find Specific for weight control where you live,but I recomend it. It helps FAST! If you can't,look for any veterinary food,the regular ones doesn't help at all,you need veterinary dietic kibble,and don't add kanned,she doesn't need it now. Just kibble and water. In some meals you can give her carrots,if she will eat them,or cottage cheese,it is low in fat.

Lupita

What a breeder recommended, and what I've tried with success is this method:

Eliminate about 10% of her regular dog food and replace with cooked green beans. Feed this for a couple days, then increase the ratio of green beans to 25%, keep slowly increasing the green beans over a few days until half her meal is beans. Feed like this until you've reached her desired weight.

The green beans make them feel full while adding very few calories to the diet. You should be able to see a defined waist when standing over top of your dog. You should also be able to easily feel their ribs.