Dexter isn't acting like himself! Need Advice...

kcast

So I've had my little 2-3yr old dachshund since August, he is my best bud and he is totally predictable. Sometimes the stubborness comes out but he is well-trained and rarely has accidents. Tonight we were just hanging out at home, he was out of sight but usually is, and without any warning he peed by the front door, and it was ALOT. Way more than usual, this was a large puddle, like his bladder was full and he emptied it. He went out not more than two hours prior and made absolutely no attempt to let us know beforehand like he always does. Afterwards I noticed that his water bowl which was full a few hours ago is now nearly empty. He has a slight tendency to drink too much at one time, but never this much. I'm worried because this is sooooo out of the ordinary for Dexter. Is there any possible medical explanation for his behavior? Or is it just that it's been warmer weather here, he drank too much, and I'm overreacting. In the hours before he had been chewing on a bully stick, ate a few inches of it (not sure if that's helpful) Any advice is appreciated, I'm just worried about my boy :(

russelgrane

I think you should start again those crate training, it would be beneficial again. Start it's regular training and its food which you used to feed him when you bought him. You can also take him to the near by doctor he will help you out.

Cell

Some treats I find are very salty which could explain why he went and drank a lot. Odd that he didn't warn you about wanting to go out like he normally does, but Leo doesn't it sometimes too (not when we are home, only if we leave him without making sure he has peed). If it is not a regular occurrence you may just want to put it as random accident.
Frequent drinking and urination can be a sign of diabetes.

Kitaku

could it be that you or another family member took him outside to pee out of his regular routine? it hapened to me

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Keep a close eye on his water consumption, if it continues to be high, get him to the vet.