Dachshund Seizures? Someone help me...

DeidraVincer

Hello, my name is Deidra and my little man (Chitty, he'll be 7 in September) has been having seizures lately and it has me super worried. They only last i few minutes, then he's back to his normal self. He groans and his body trembles and when he tries to walk he falls over on his side, it's almost like he's dizzy or something. He's had three is six days. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Today Sunday. Can someone help me better understand what's going on with him? I'm coming here first because honestly i don't have the money to go visit a vet and i don't want to loser my little guy. He's my heart, soul, best friend, and I don't know what I would do without him.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hunter's Parade

Maybe it's epilepsy and he needs drugs for that.Whatever that is only a vet can help you and he will need treatment.
If you can't take care of him take him to a rescue. You can't just say-I don't have money for vet. If you don't have money for that,you can't have a dog.

CaseyKC

I can imagine that you are frightened by your little guy's symptoms. Personally, I would take him to your vet no matter what. Perhaps you could negotiate a payment plan with him/her.

GJBain

Hello, my name is Deidra and my little man (Chitty, he'll be 7 in September) has been having seizures lately and it has me super worried. They only last i few minutes, then he's back to his normal self. He groans and his body trembles and when he tries to walk he falls over on his side, it's almost like he's dizzy or something. He's had three is six days. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Today Sunday. Can someone help me better understand what's going on with him? I'm coming here first because honestly i don't have the money to go visit a vet and i don't want to loser my little guy. He's my heart, soul, best friend, and I don't know what I would do without him.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Our last Dachshund, Samantha, had seizures starting at 3 years old. She was put on Phenobarbital. 2 small pills twice a day. She rarely had them while on the medication but it did happen maybe once a year or less. You will hear stories about Phenobarbital but I can tell you first hand that it did not change one thing with Samantha other then stop the seizures. She was not tired all the time or lazy or anything you hear about. Also she lived to be 17 years and 3 weeks old so it had no effect on her in my opinion. Good luck and definitely get him to a vet.

Tikki

I know that this is an old thread and the OP has not come back, but if anyone wants to know about canine epilepsy - in any breed - and the pluses and minuses of AEDs [Anti Epileptic Drugs] and what they can do to help support the dog's liver while on Phenobarbitol, I will be able to help.

There are also different types of epilepsy which Google will not help much. Same with medication. I spend four years studying it, with the help of my Vet who is also epileptic although he had brain surgery so does not have seizures or need to take medication any more, but he still says he is epileptic and he gives seminars on the subject.

But it is a life-long condition and frequently takes time to work out the best medications to control it. I say control because it can never be cured.

As I said above, if anyone has any queries about seizures I will do my best to give advice and help. Just keep away from Google.

You are so right when you say stay away from google. A condition like this needs a vet ASAP. Nothing to mess around with.
There is care credit to apply for also.
My mom had a rehomed chi that developed seizures and he was on phenobarb. Helped him to live to almost 15.

Tikki

I had to have my beloved girl euthanised at 1am on 1 April last year. My wonderful vet came out at that time to give her peace. She was only 6 years and 3 months old and had her first Grand Mal seizure on 1 April 2011 - but enough was enough and I was not prepared to keep adding another and then another AED, ending up with a zombie who would still be having these terrible GMs. So for her sake we gave her peace.