Dachshund Newbie

Georgiapeach

Hello from Georgia, and thank you for letting me join! I just became the foster mom to a standard black and tan dachshund named Max on Friday! I'm not new to fostering, but he's my first dachshund foster, so I wanted to come to a good place to learn more about the breed.

I also have 4 other dogs of my own :eek:: a senior boxer (Jackson - I rescued him from animal control last summer when he was listed as "extremely urgent"; btw, boxers are my heart breed), a westie/maltese mix (Maddie - queen of the household, adopted from a rescue I foster for), Sunny (a 9 year old toy poodle - rescued from 7 years in a hoarding situation and a permanent foster, as he's unadoptable :(, and Paxton, my daughter's yorkie-poo who came to live with us yesterday - hopefully not forever... I fear I'm becoming "a crazy dog lady"!

Max is a happy-go-lucky 4-5 month old puppy. He's got the typical puppy energy, but he's also happy to chill with us on the couch after a play session. Thankfully, he's not hyper. Maddie is having to teach him some doggie manners, which he's obviously missed out on. She's a patient, but firm teacher.

Max was returned to the rescue after being previously adopted. I think it was because of house training issues, as that's what I'm dealing with now. I've gone back to Potty Training 101, especially since everything I've read indicates that doxies are a bit stubborn and sometimes hard to house train. The fact that the previous adopter let things go for so long doesn't help. He's doing a little better each day, so there's hope! ;)

Lupita

You are wonderful for caring for these dogs!

At 4-5 months, my mini Doxie was nowhere close to house trained, and we had been consistent with her since we got her at 3 months old. It's pretty normal for them to have "accidents" a lot, until they're 8 or 9 months. They do get it though, and my Standard was somewhat easier to train, so perhaps Max will be too.

No magic answer, just be patient and take him outside frequently. If he is crate-trained, you can let him hang out in his crate while you're in the shower or otherwise unable to 100% watch him. And of course, clean up any accidents with a non-ammonia based cleanser. Vinegar and water work well.

The other thing Doxie pups respond very well to is rewards. Try to go out with Max when you know he'll do his business (first thing in the morning for example) and heavily praise and treat him when he does.

I wish you all the best!

Penny

That's so funny that you've chosen Georgia Peach as your handle. My pie girl is named Georgia Peach Pie. lol

To have 4 dogs under your care and take on a doxie that's not house trained is very courageous. lol You must be very stubborn and determined, just like a dachshund! My best wishes to you and to Max that he find a forever family soon.

Georgiapeach

Thanks for the encouragement! Max is definitely a challenge in the house training department. It doesn't help that his former owner wasn't consistent and allowed bad habits to develop. I'm not really a puppy person, and Max is reminding me why - lol! :rolleyes: I should own stock in Nature's Miracle... I am going to have to crate him more, for sure. I think I'm also going to have to tether him to me when not crated - he's bad about sneaking off to pee/poo when I'm not paying direct attention to him. We're making frequent trips outside - at least once an hour. Hopefully, Max will get adopted soon, and someone else can enjoy finishing the house training part! :D

Other than this problem, he's a very nice puppy - very good temperament and gets along well with my other dogs! I've also learned that he snores a little - lol! :)