curbing the digging factor

starfish

Midwest US Region Moderator
Dachshunds have a natural desire to 'dig'. Trying to find a way to keep my boys out of the flowerbeds came as a simple suggestion from my Husband, Chris. He actually suggested a plastic kiddie pool filled with sand, but after consulting with our vet, we changed the sand for regular topsoil. The cheap kind at any nursery or home improvement store that does NOT have fertilizer in it. Then it is just a matter of burying a favorite toy under the soil. You may have to show your little digger what you are doing. If they return to the yard or flowerbed to dig, just redirect them back to the pool...your dog is smart, so they will get it after a few times. It is better to get them started in the pool before they find the flowerbeds.

starfish

I left something out...

When we consulted with the Vet on putting sand into the pool, we were advised that sand could become lodged under their cuticles close to their nails and get bothersome or infected. That is why we went for topsoil. Our Vet loves Dachshunds more than other breeds. She had 12 of the little ones. Of course, she said it is not a bad thing to let them dig on the beach, but to be sure to wash their nails really good when you get them home.

koshka

Super Moderator
This is great information. The first few months that I had my pups they were digging. Oh my gosh and was it funny cause I had no idea. I was working in the kitchen doing my thing and lo and behold i go out into the yard and all i can see is this pile of top soil...top soil all over...and there...lo and behold my little long shaired doxie with her head peeking out of this hole about 1 foot deep. It was hilarious. She had dirt all over her. I couldnot help but laugh. Later down the road......she dug out my Peony bushes...(k..these awre about $20 bux each as they are perennials)...and she dug out my petunias. We also went and got another puppy for company for her..and his favorite dig was my tulip bulbs.
Gotta luv em.
Now summer #2 was not so bad with them. Very little digging with no intervention.

hmmmm.......

starfish

Awww...I think they bring humor in everything they do. I was hanging out the wash on the clothes line, I looked up and Henry had a very large hole dug in my flowerbed in my daylillies. I had the very same reaction you had! After my shocked gasp, Henry looked up from his hole, tail wagging, his face was all covered and I couldn't help but laugh as well! They are funny little ones. ~laugh~ They bring loads of humor and excitement, that's for sure. :D