CKC Anybody?

Peanut

So, I'm curious about the CKC Picture/Witness registration. Anybody know anything about it? Apparently you can register your dog based on looks, as long as you've got witnesses and follow the guidelines on what pictures they need/want to look at to determine breed type. Sounds crazy, honestly, but I want to give it a try with Peanut. I would love for her to be registered, she's learning so quickly with the training we're doing for show - because of Nemo, but we decided to do it with her too since training can't hurt. Only thing is that it costs 30$, which isn't a big deal, but if she isn't to the breed standard for CKC, they'll only refund 15. So I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with it? I'll post the guidelines below, then the pictures I managed to get. I am too busy criticizing the pictures to even consider them, but they seem to meet the guidelines, I have been told. Suggestions? Advice??

Witness Section Photograph Guidelines - When using the Witness Section of the Canine
Registration Application, you must observe the following guidelines when taking the photographs that will
accompany your application.
• A minimum of 3 photographs are required for the application. Additional photos will be accepted. One
full left side, one full right side, and one full frontal view photographs are required for each application.
All submitted photos must be from the same photo session.
• Photos must be taken from eye level with the dog. No pictures taken from an overhead angle, diagonal
angle, or with the dog turning or moving will be accepted.
• The dog must be standing in all photos.
• No part of the dog can be cut off in any of the photos.
• The dog should take up 75% of each photo (no long range photos).
• For breeds that require a long or curly coat, the dog’s coat must be in that state and groomed (not shaven
or short).
• Dogs in the photographs should appear in good condition with the coat neat, clean and free of any
obvious diseases, disorders, or parasites.

Photos with the following will not be accepted:
• Photographs that are blurry, grainy, too dark, too bright, black and white photos, or discolored
photographs.
• Dogs that are being held in arms, restrained, dogs that are sitting, or dogs that are lying down.
• Pictures of dogs that are behind obstructions such as fences, kennels, fence post, tall grass, etc.
• Photographs in which a dog has been completely shaved (excluding sporting clips, puppy clips, and
sanitary clips of breeds in which coat types and lengths can still be determined).

Nell

Sorry, I am clueless regards the CKC? haven't heard of it before but the photos are great! she is soooo sweet :)

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I'm assuming you mean the Continental Kennel Club, not the Canadian Kennel Club. Boo is registered with the ConKC and he's definitely NOT to breed standard. Seriously they'll even register mutts, they're definitely not a reputable registry

Penny

I have the feeling that if you get involved with CKC, the reputable breeders in AKC will not be happy with you and may not sell you a show puppy. I suggest you stick with AKC and stay clear of CKC. I have seen breeders posting their males with ribbons and certificates when they are no where near the standard. Makes them look legit when they aren't. Why support them when they collect money for mutts?

Good job with the photos by the way!!

Peanut

I have the feeling that if you get involved with CKC, the reputable breeders in AKC will not be happy with you and may not sell you a show puppy. I suggest you stick with AKC and stay clear of CKC. I have seen breeders posting their males with ribbons and certificates when they are no where near the standard. Makes them look legit when they aren't. Why support them when they collect money for mutts?

Good job with the photos by the way!!
I didn't think about it along the lines of that. I just wanted a chance to show Peanut. I definitely won't dual register my AKC pups through CKC, just wanted a chance with Peanut. But, you are right.

Thank you. She's doing so good, and I know she has potential. It just sucks that she's not registered. I guess I can still look into some agility. Not all of those have to be registered. She responds very well to training, and working.

What about ACA ? I've seen them around, was told to dual register my male and get him ready for some events through them. I've never heard anything about them, though. The only one I really know about is AKC. I guess it kind of makes sense that you can basically dual register any dog that is AKC, but you can't have AKC unless they are bred that way.

I'm sorry, those look like doxie mug shots to me. :)

What was she arrested for?
Stealing kibble?
Assault of a squirrel?
Loitering on the couch?
Burrowing without a license?

What do you think her sentence will be?

Peanut

I'm sorry, those look like doxie mug shots to me. :)

What was she arrested for?
Stealing kibble?
Assault of a squirrel?
Loitering on the couch?
Burrowing without a license?

What do you think her sentence will be?
Lmao, my Fiance and I were thinking the same thing! Stealing my spot on the recliner, for sure! Unfortunately, she's the boss around here, so no sentencing will work. I try kicking her out of my chair only for her to roll over and give me puppy dog eyes. I'm a pushover.

Steph

It sounds very similar to what the AKC calls "Purebred Alternative Listing" PAL or what the Canadian Kennel Club calls "Performance Event Number" PEN.

I have a PEN for Arelus through the Canadian KC so that we can compete in Earth dog. All I had to do was take photos of Arelus, take him and the pictures to my vet and have my vet confirm that the dog he was looking at was the same dog in the pictures and that he resembled a purebred dachshund. Plus I needed a copy of Arelus' neuter certificate and microchip information. In six weeks I received a cool little certificate from the kennel club stating that Arelus was able to compete in CanKc events that did not include conformation. I would like to try Lure Coursing with him. I hear Dachsies are pretty good at it :)

This link will take you to the AKC page http://images.akc.org/pdf/ADPAL1.pdf