Choosing a registered name?

Peanut

Well, with out last dachshund, I was just googling, and I read you should use breeder's name, then we chose a name. We came up with Moon's Nemo. I've been researching it a bit more this time around, seeing as how I still have two weeks until she's coming home. But, I can't decide. I have asked around a little bit, and came up with "Pushin' up Daisies", call name Daisy.. and I like the name Bella/Isabella.. But, I just cannot decide!! Is it true you should use the breeders/kennels name first? I just want something more along what is common in AKC, since we're shooting for showing her. Any suggestions? Advice?

Nell

I am not much help with AKC rules and regulations but in the UK you can have the kennel name in front or after the dogs name, whatever you prefer. The expression "Pushin up daisies" means someone is dead in the UK? lol, I like Isabella / Bella though, its quite fashionable here to call a dog after a film star or someone famous from history etc. hence Miss Constance Lloyd, "Connie", she was Oscar Lloyds wife. Whatever you choose once you get her home you will never be able to imagine her as anything else! so pleased for you.

Peanut

Haha, I didn't realize that. I never really cared when we got Nemo, because I had no intentions of showing. I don't want something that would sound too silly, so I'm not sure this time around - being hopeful about showing her. I need to keep researching, lol

amparra

Our lab's registered name is Sopchoppy's Whiskey Daisy. I still need to finish up the paperwork for our dachshund but we were going to go with the same theme of drinks with flowers in their names.

Some breeders require the kennel name to be used, others don't. Talk to your breeder about it. Does your breeder know that you intend to show? You need full registration to be able to show in conformation. Reputable breeders typically do not sell dogs on full outright to someone they don't really know, they will usually do a co-own or sell on limited registration and then convert it to full down the line.

Peanut

She doesn't require it, but we did it with Nemo out of respect. This is the same breeder I got Nemo from. She sold Nemo full AKC rights, and I mentioned I wanted to show her. She'll be doing the same thing with the new pup. She's the only licensed/state inspected breeder around here that I've found which is why I went with her the first time, and we had a very good experience with her, so we went back.