Chocolate and Tan dapple or...???

Tbird

Hi! I am new to this site and also new to dachshunds. I just brought this little nugget home and I'm confused about his coloring. The breeder has him marked as a chocolate and tan dapple. While he does have some markings that match up with that, he has some that do not. He has a lot of dappling over his face and his muzzle, where the tan would be, has a different color of dappling. Some of his feet also have a darker dapple color than the other spots on his body and some of his feet are solid chocolate. I was thinking that he might be solid chocolate dapple, but then I don't think he would have the tan coloring that he does..?? What do y'all think?

Thanks for the input!

Tikki

I am afraid that I cannot help you as I do not know anything about Dachshunds or their colouring - my little mini monster is a cross - Doxie momma and Minpin papa [and has been described as a Doxie on stilts!]

Your little baby is gorgeous and that tummy is just begging for a kiss. How old is he? I do not know where you are but is he registered with the Kennel Club in your Country and do you have full papers for him?

Tbird

I am afraid that I cannot help you as I do not know anything about Dachshunds or their colouring - my little mini monster is a cross - Doxie momma and Minpin papa [and has been described as a Doxie on stilts!]

Your little baby is gorgeous and that tummy is just begging for a kiss. How old is he? I do not know where you are but is he registered with the Kennel Club in your Country and do you have full papers for him?

Thanks! He is almost 10 weeks old and he is registered with the AKC.

Tikki

He is absolutely gorgeous but as I said, I do not know anything about Dachshunds and am still learning about my half Doxie.

Are his eyes still that wonderful blue and is dapple an accepted colour for registration?

Please excuse my ignorance as I had never seen a Dachshund here and it is only because of little Tikva that I have started trying to learn about them.

What a sweetheart. He looks like a chocolate & tan dapple to me. You will see more as he gets older. I had one little girl that was a smooth red as a puppy but turned apricot and wire haired as she got older. Her mom was a smooth red and dad was a blond color wire haired. We got her from a military family that brought the male home when they were stationed in Germany.

Thanks! He is almost 10 weeks old and he is registered with the AKC.
I have found out over the years the AKC registration is a joke. They give AKC papers on puppy mill dogs that are sold in pet stores (which I hate). AKC is in it for the money IMHO. When you think of all the mill dogs born every year (over 10,000) with $35 to $45 for registration papers look at the amount they are taking in.

Best way is to see parents and ask for registration info going back a few generations of both sides and hope that you have an honest breeder.

Tbird

I have found out over the years the AKC registration is a joke. They give AKC papers on puppy mill dogs that are sold in pet stores (which I hate). AKC is in it for the money IMHO. When you think of all the mill dogs born every year (over 10,000) with $35 to $45 for registration papers look at the amount they are taking in.

Best way is to see parents and ask for registration info going back a few generations of both sides and hope that you have an honest breeder.
He is actually dual registered and she gave me papers for the CKC as well, I just haven't done them yet. The breeder was amazing and owns both parents and had them on site. I did a lot of research to find a good breeder before deciding on this one

Tbird

He is absolutely gorgeous but as I said, I do not know anything about Dachshunds and am still learning about my half Doxie.

Are his eyes still that wonderful blue and is dapple an accepted colour for registration?

Please excuse my ignorance as I had never seen a Dachshund here and it is only because of little Tikva that I have started trying to learn about them.
Dapple is an accepted pattern and can be found on any color. His eyes are actually a hazel color. Dark eyes are preferred, but hazel is accepted as well.

Karen

Piper (black) has similar markings and Charlie (chocolate) has hazel eyes. Both are standard dapples...anything with any type of speckle is a dapple :)
The two sides of Piper :p

Tikki

As Tikva is a crossbreed, I cannot compare her colour with correct Dachshund colouring. Her dam was definitely red, although I thought maybe a bit light. Having bred Griffons in the past I know you can mate two pure reds and still get a blondish one. Tikva's sire was a red Minpin although most of the ones on Moshavim around here are black and tan. As I did not get close enough to him, just saw him from across the road, all I can say is that he was definitely red. A nice solid red.

Tikki is definitely red. She has a black nose and whiskers, a very slightly darker wide stripe along her back, and a white patch on her chest [she is very short-coated - like velvet]. And she has dark brown eyes although they look hazel when she is outside during the evening and she comes up near my outside light, although they were very dark, almost black, when she was a baby.

I am still learning about Dachshunds and this thread is extremely interesting to me, as I did not know before about the different coats and colourings, and what is acceptable and what is not. Karen's Piper was the first I had seen [picture, I mean] of a Doxie with such delightful colouring.

Last edited: