Buffalo Wild Dry Food Problem

DonRamon

Ninja
I recently bought Blue Buffalo dry food for my 2 cats and my dog, and every time i fed them buffalo, they all had diahreaa. Has anyone else had this problem?

ktshickle

DoxieLover
Only time I've had an issue like that is if I switched the food too quickly. Did you blend it with the old food to get them used to the new?

nola

I had the same problem with my 4 when I had them on it (and it was a very slow transition), plus Nola vomited

DonRamon

Ninja
No i did not mix it with old food, i just gave it to them. But why would it make them diahrea or vomit? what is it in the food that causes that? Because i switched them to Acana/Orijen with no problem.

Steph

Dogs are sensitive to food changes and that's why if you switch them from one brand to another without doing a 7 - 10 day switch over you can get diarrhea. Putting them back on their regular food, one that their systems already are used to would stop the diarrhea.

The rule of thumb for switching brands is to use the 7 -10 day switch over where you start with most of the old food in the bowl and gradually introduced the new stuff until on usually day 10 they are eating nothing but the new stuff. Hope that helps. Good luck with the switch over. Oh yeah, btw, my mom feeds Blue to her guys and it has done wonders for her shepherd's allergies :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Dogs are sensitive to food changes and that's why if you switch them from one brand to another without doing a 7 - 10 day switch over you can get diarrhea. Putting them back on their regular food, one that their systems already are used to would stop the diarrhea.

The rule of thumb for switching brands is to use the 7 -10 day switch over where you start with most of the old food in the bowl and gradually introduced the new stuff until on usually day 10 they are eating nothing but the new stuff. Hope that helps. Good luck with the switch over. Oh yeah, btw, my mom feeds Blue to her guys and it has done wonders for her shepherd's allergies :)
I'm going to disagree with you there. Dogs are only sensitive to food changes if they get fed the same thing day after day. My dogs get something different every meal, and never get diarrhea. Dogs we never meant to eat the same thing all the time. They're scavengers, and I think most digestive problems are caused by being on the same dog food.

Oliver used to get sick from any protein but fish (even peanut butter made him sick) Now he can eat anything and everything except raw meat (he can eat cooked though!) It's called a rotation diet. I feed 6 or 7 different brands of dry food, 4 or 5 different of canned, 3 different brands of dehydrated, plus raw (to all but Oliver), homecooked, and anything else I feel like feeding that day.

DonRamon

Ninja
My little guy gets fed everything, and the only times he has diahreaa is when i feed him fatty fried foods and blue buffalo, other then that he eats everything with 0 problems.