Best Puppy Food

doogy

I'm bringing home a puppy soon and would like to buy the
most healthy human grade puppy food out there for him. I give raw dehydrated
dog food to my shepherd. Is there an awesome food out there for
dachshund pups?

nola

I make Nola's food now, but when she was a puppy I gave her Avoderm (easiest thing to find that was higher quality) then Orijen

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I feed lots of different things to my Doxies, kibble, canned, dehydrated raw, raw. I really like The Honest Kitchen, for a dehydrated raw food. I never feed puppy food, but a mix of foods, something different every meal, as I believe alot of digestive issues in dogs are due to being fed the same thing day after day.

russelgrane

I will recommend you to go for blue buffalo, chicken by- product meal, grain corn, pork fat, dried beet pulp, chicken liver and brewers rice are generally the best puppy food. They enjoy this food a lot and it helps them in their strategic growth.

Steph

I do something very similar to Deaf Dogs with my guys. I rotate flavours/ textures with them and I avoid the majority of foods that say they use by-product meal, corn, wheat and soy products. I use Nature's Variety in all their forms (dry, dehydrated raw, raw, canned and I'm dying to try their new version called raw bites - dehydrated raw mixed in with dry kibble, but can't find it yet) also Orijen, Acana and Fromm.

However with puppies, you want to watch the protein levels in foods because too high a protein level can cause a pup to grow too fast and therefore have skeletal issues as they get older. I have always found that 25 to 28% protein seems to work best for about the first six months of life and then I go for a higher protein level.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I do something very similar to Deaf Dogs with my guys. I rotate flavours/ textures with them and I avoid the majority of foods that say they use by-product meal, corn, wheat and soy products. I use Nature's Variety in all their forms (dry, dehydrated raw, raw, canned and I'm dying to try their new version called raw bites - dehydrated raw mixed in with dry kibble, but can't find it yet) also Orijen, Acana and Fromm.

However with puppies, you want to watch the protein levels in foods because too high a protein level can cause a pup to grow too fast and therefore have skeletal issues as they get older. I have always found that 25 to 28% protein seems to work best for about the first six months of life and then I go for a higher protein level.
Actually, Protein levels have nothing to do with growing too fast. There's a study done with Great Danes that has proven that myth is false. Low protein affects their growth, but high proteins cause no problems.

maggie_may

puppy food

i have a six month old and we started her on acana but found it made her have gas, and was told when that happens its the wrong food for their bodies so the vet said to try science diet and she has been great ever since. I also found the kibble size food is much easier for those baby teeth to crunch on!:rolleyes:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
i have a six month old and we started her on acana but found it made her have gas, and was told when that happens its the wrong food for their bodies so the vet said to try science diet and she has been great ever since. I also found the kibble size food is much easier for those baby teeth to crunch on!:rolleyes:
I wouldn't let my dogs within 10 feet of Science Diet!!! Horrible stuff. Chalk FULL of fillers, by-products, and garbage... with a VERY expensive price tag. You may as well feed Ol Roy, same crap in both.

Vets will always recommend Hills products, as they're paid very well to.