Backpain, how bad is it?

vizzla

Yesterday he almost couldn walk. He didnt want to move. So we took him to the vet emediatly. They didnt want to x-ray because of the risk of bigger damages on the back with the handling during x-ray. they said the result wouldnt be any different since he is not a surgery-case. But the vet says its from his back. :(

He is order to rest for 3 weeks, only short walks to pee and poop. No movement inside the appartment (which is hard when he always want to be in our lap so we have him loose as usually, just no jumping on sofas).

It could be just a strecht on a muscel. We will know in 3 weeks. If he has become better with the painkillers and rest, its probibly not a ruptured disk. If he still is in pain, we need an x-ray..

The only thing we can think of has happened is that thuesday evening we played with him outside, throwing a freesbee. He suddently stoped and looked at his right side. After that he didnt want to play any more. We checked his whole body for sore-spots but he didnt react to pressure anywhere. He didnt limp or anything like that. Wednesday he was normal exept he didnt want to "jump" up on our porche, its just one lower step. But still didnt react to any handling.

So yesterday morning he didnt want to walk. He stod like a U-shape with his back up. He wouldnt move and seemed week on his legs. So we took him to the vet emediately!

He can walk and he eats, pee and poop as usually. He still not reacting on pressure. The vet didnt find any "sore-spots".

I soooo hoping its not anything wrong with his discs. We talked to our breeder who has had one dachshund that got the diagnos ruptured disc but it was wrong and the dog got well quickly as it was only a strainged muscle.

How bad do you thing it is? If it is a ruptured disc can it become any worse? Or do we get to the vet in time for it to stay like this? He is moving around today without any problems it seems. He doesnt walk with a limp or anything.

Im just worrying if this will get worse. We keep him as still as we can. We build a big cage indoors and outdoors so we dont let him jump on the sofa (he has jumped today when we looked away for a second). He is lying whit us on the sofa sometimes so he doesnt feel alone. But we lift him up and down. We sleep on mattress on the floor so he cant jump of our bed (he has always been sleeping in our bed with us). Anyting else we can do?

We have a warm pillow that we lay near his back, the vet said that heat can be good for his back...

/Vizzla

Attachments

If he is able to pee & poop and walk, you've got a good chance of recovery. But you've got to follow the doc's orders on crate rest.

Henry was difficult to control. He tried jumping after he injured his back, and we weren't quick enough to catch him. His injury became serious, and he wasn't able to support himself on his hind legs.

When his paws "knuckled under" we knew he was getting worse, rather than better.

Henry never complained when he was hurting, which was one reason we didn't catch his back injuries (yes, twice) in time.

Inkeri

Oh no!!! Poor Alf!!!! :(
I have no experience with back issues, so I have no good advice other than follow the doc's orders. I hope it's only muscle related thing. He does seem quite energetic, though. I've heard that if they have ruptured disc, they're much worse..

Good luck to you and hugs for Alfie!! Take care and keep us posted!!

vizzla

Today he seems tired but happy. Its hardes to controll his "greeting rituals", he always jumps up to our faces and lick us. Even if we try to lay down on the floor so he wont jump he still gets very happy to see anyone of us.

He doesnt show any signs of pain. We will try to have him as still as posible. I let him lay on my lap as a type on the computor. He can lay still for hours as long as his in ones lap. Otherwiese his in his crate (but I dont want to leave him there ALL day so I let him up in my lap or on our bed (wich is on the floor right now) so he can be near us).

He roles over and stretches a lot when he gets outside. Dont know if its a bad thing for him to do but I cant prevent him from not moving at all so I just concentrating on no movement inside the house.

Thank you for your answers! I will keep posting Inkeri!

Inkeri

I'm so glad Alf is doing better!! :) I can imagine how difficult it must be trying to keep him still... How is he now? Any news?

vizzla

One week now and he doesnt seem to have any pain at all. So I hope whatever it was its gone!

We have him in the same room as we are (not in a crate just on the floor). He is still most of the time. He goes to eat sometimes but he mostly lies still on the bed. When we are out its very hard to keep him from jumping and running. He tries to even with leash on! Happy dog :)

Im google:ing all kinds of diagnoses. I cant figure out what could be wrong. I cant find anything that matches with his symtoms.

Im just hoping its not ruptured disc.... Thats my biggest fear...

Im google:ing all kinds of diagnoses. I cant figure out what could be wrong. I cant find anything that matches with his symtoms.

Im just hoping its not ruptured disc.... Thats my biggest fear...
Why do you think it might be something else? What symptoms are you seeing?

vizzla

Because the vet wasnt sure it was from his back. He dosent react to any pressure or movments. He looks to healthy and he moves around like before (we keep him still but he lies down an twist and turn on the floor). But I know it COULD be a ruptured disc, but I hope its not. I have never heard of a dachshund with a ruptured disc that can move around without pain. Everyone I know says that some movements are caousing pain if its the discs... But I know I only can wait and see...

Did they do any blood work? We thought PD had injured his back, and took him to the vet. The confusion almost cost his life, he had pancreatitis. The ER vet denies that the steroids they put him on made him worse, but by the time we got him to our regular vet (2 days later), his kidneys and liver had shut down.

It sounds like your dog is getting better, so I'm not saying you've got the same condition. But, a little blood work can help rule out other problems.

As a dachshund owner I was so vigilent about back problems that this was my first conclusion. The ER vet didn't look any farther, either.

vizzla

Thank you for your answer! Alf got better as soon as we left the vet. They didnt check for any other thing than stomachache or back pain, no bloodwork just a physical chech. Im aware of backproblems with dachs but Ive also heard of dachses getting diagnosed with ruptured disc without any exams, and therefore got a wrong diagnose. So I dont want to leave anything out...

vizzla

We talked to the vet today. Since Alf got better so soon after his visit and because he has been of the pain medicin for 5 days without getting worse they think we dont need to do more. Just live as usuall and call if he get any symtoms. So he is better now :) I will take a longer walk this evening, he has all this engery in him from resting for 2,5 week.

Happy happy!