Back Pain

Jeremy13

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member. I joined because our little guy (Tucker, mini doxie, almost 13 years old) is having some what we think is back pain. He bit my wife when she picked him up this morning. He is taking his medicine (aspirin), eating and going to the bathroom. When he does walk his gait looks ok. Any suggestions on what to do? We've kept him in a crate for a month before when this happened. That was in 2016, no serious recurrences of back pain till now. Just looking for any other ideas or insights. I'm far from home for work right now and this situation is stressful for all of us.

CaseyKC

Hope that Dodger's List will give you some ideas and a better understanding of back trouble in dachshunds. When I was fostering "downed dachsies," my husband attached some of my son's long discarded skate boards to the crate so we could move the "patient" from room to room to be wherever we were without having to physically carry the dog. I felt they were calmer and not so sad when they didn't feel so isolated.

Jeremy13

Thank you.

My wife got him to the vet. We're crating him for two weeks and giving him meds. She's spending lots of time near him but he's definitely still in lots of pain. It's difficult.

Jeremy13

Our little guy seems to be improving, especially after he started on Metacam a few days ago. Now different challenges - feeling more himself he'll be a real handful for my wife, especially with things he's used to doing but can't because of his current movement restrictions.

CaseyKC

Glad to hear that. I know it isn't fun, but to be on the safe side, I would keep him on crate rest a tad longer, well not a tad, but six weeks. That is the minimum that Dodgerslist suggests, and the expert on dachshund back trouble told me when I was fostering recuperating dachshunds that for dachshund who did not have back surgery, at around six weeks, he would want to re evaluate to decide if another two weeks (8 weeks total) would be helpful and safer. Not that your vet told you wrong, but sometimes veterinarians are not totally fluent in dachshunds, and we know what a special breed they are. Please come back and tell us when your little guy is cleared for action.