Asking to go out?

JPsMOM

At what point/how do you teach them to tell you when they need to go potty? Jasper has done really well wight me being on top of taking him outside, but there are still plenty of random times that he will be just walking round, no real indicators, and have himself a squat right wherever he is. He never signals (other than sniffing around) that he has to go out. I have tried hanging a bell on the knob that I jingle and say "outside" when we go out, but he doesn't seem to connect it. He does know what "outside" means, because he will run over to sit by the door and wait for his leash.

Sent via tapatalk

Nell

It does take some time for them to learn to "ask" to go out but most work it out eventually though often in different ways. One of mine barks to go out, one just sits by the door and the other one runs backwards and forwards from me to the door lol!

Like most small pups yours is still using the "sniffing around" notification and sometimes their early attempts to notify you can be so subtle we don't always pick up on them.

Do you need to take him out on the leash every time or is there an area he can just be let out to?

Reason I am asking is because the best way to get the bell method to work is to hang it from the door at nose height, smeer peanut butter in the bell, as soon as he touches it with his nose (and he will!) open the door. You will have to repeat this over and over again until he makes the connection so if I were you once the door has been open two or three times in a row hook the bell up for an hour or so. Then put it back down and as soon as he sniffs (rings) the bell open the door again because he wont make the connection unless the door opens every time he rings the bell.

Remember the more you can prevent accidents in doors the quicker they learn that OUTSIDE is the place to go. Its all about developing a good habit.............:)

Last edited:

GJBain

At what point/how do you teach them to tell you when they need to go potty? Jasper has done really well wight me being on top of taking him outside, but there are still plenty of random times that he will be just walking round, no real indicators, and have himself a squat right wherever he is. He never signals (other than sniffing around) that he has to go out. I have tried hanging a bell on the knob that I jingle and say "outside" when we go out, but he doesn't seem to connect it. He does know what "outside" means, because he will run over to sit by the door and wait for his leash.

Sent via tapatalk
Our last Dachshund we had for 17+ years never gave indication of wanting to go outside. Our 5 month old is the same way. No indication. You have to stay on top of them all the time. In my opinion it is a Dachshund thing.

JPsMOM

Thanks for the info! No, unfortunately off -leash is not an option here. We don't have a fenced in area and can't put one up until we move since we are renting. The peanut butter with the bell is still a good idea. He has been catching on so very quickly to training...he sits on command now, as well as showing wonderful restraint with "wait", lay down, come... If he is in the mood of course :)...so I bet he would pick up on the bell thing that way.

Sent via tapatalk

Lupita

With our first dog, Lupi, she would go and sit by the door but wouldn't bark, so teaching her to ring a bell helped us realize when she needed to go outside and reduced the number of accidents immensely. She was about 4-5 months old when we taught her that. After she was older, she learned to whine at the door and the bell wasn't necessary.

Our current puppy, Lacy, is almost 4 months old and gives no indication that she needs to go outside. Usually I catch her sneaking away to the spare room where she prefers to have her "accidents" and then I quickly put her out. I may bring out the bell again.

JPsMOM

Just wanted to say that we just went ONE WHOLE DAY with NO accidents AND Jasper rang the bell to ask to go out and go potty every time!! All by himself!! :)

Sent via tapatalk

Lupita

Yay! That is a huge milestone!

Lacy just finished day 10 of no accidents and she is asking to go outside now, so I am elated too!

COCO

just wondering how old Jasper is? Coco is 16 weeks tomorrow, still have an accident now and then but does most of his business outside.

JPsMOM

just wondering how old Jasper is? Coco is 16 weeks tomorrow, still have an accident now and then but does most of his business outside.
He is approximately 16 weeks old. This progress is super huge for us because he and his mom and litter were puppy mill rescues, when the pups were approximately 1 week old. We got him at about 10 weeks if i remember correctly, and he had been crated with mom that whole time in the foster home, because mom was afraid of leaving the crate. So he found soiled beds, crates, eating places, and living spaces comfortable. Soiled beds on purpose...etc. It was a challenge! But here we are!! :) yay!!

Thanks for everyone's advice and support!

Sent via tapatalk

CaseyKC

Congratulations to you and your pup! 16 weeks and he has a good grasp on where to go. You will still need to watch him closely and take him out frequently, but it sounds like he has the concept of doing business in the great outdoors. The bell ring thing is great. I never was able to get my Libby to ring a bell, although it was hanging on the door from day one. Eventually I figured out what her "signal" to go outside was and still is. She will come to me and act as if she hasn't seen me in a long time, wanting to give kisses and telling me she loves me so much. WRONG! This is her signal that she needs to go out right now. I guess, from her perspective, I was a slow learner, took me quite awhile to figure out why, out of the blue, she wanted to give affection, especially since she is normally a major cuddler and kisser. Once I learned that all those seemingly random "loves" mean, "I have to go out right now," we were fine in the going out to do business department.