Anyone Else's Life with Dachshunds Straight out of that E.B. White Essay?

Gutenfrog

Many of you probably E.B. White, the author of Charlotte's Web. He was a dachshund owner, and he wrote an essay (a bunch, actually) that mentioned his doxie, Fred. In them, he alluded to the utter difficulty of training most doxies.

My dog, Bullwinkle, definitely fits that description. As a pup, he was just a wild child, and while he's learned a lot in his old age (he's seven now), I definitely can associate with White. We tried training, read books, everything, to only some avail. Anyway, I wrote up a piece--9 (Mostly) True Dachshund Facts as a fun rundown our my life with the breed.

Obedience struggles and all, I wouldn't have any other pup, though.

vintagegem

Many of you probably E.B. White, the author of Charlotte's Web. He was a dachshund owner, and he wrote an essay (a bunch, actually) that mentioned his doxie, Fred. In them, he alluded to the utter difficulty of training most doxies.

My dog, Bullwinkle, definitely fits that description. As a pup, he was just a wild child, and while he's learned a lot in his old age (he's seven now), I definitely can associate with White. We tried training, read books, everything, to only some avail. Anyway, I wrote up a piece--9 (Mostly) True Dachshund Facts as a fun rundown our my life with the breed.

Obedience struggles and all, I wouldn't have any other pup, though.
I understand what you said about the difficulty in training a dachshund, I have been lucky enough to have had 3 wonderful dachshunds in the past, who, although hard initially to housebreak and train, grew to be amazing sweet and obedient. I now have a puppy who is the polar opposite of them. He is hyperactive to the point of madness, he jumps and bites at your clothes and hands most of the time, we are now going to try a dog trainer/therapist as we have tried every video, book and bit of advice we can get. I hope with time and patience he will grow out of this.