Agression

• Thread starter Deleted member 3351
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 3351

I have 2, three year olds, a mini female at 12 lbs and a tweenie at 18 lbs both neutered. The mini is very aggressive towards the bigger male and the aggression starts as she is on my lap. I guess the obvious answer is to not let her sit on my lap but would entertain suggestions or thoughts. I do have a muzzle which I have used on occasion. I think this is a case of possessiveness with me as the possession. I, for the 1st time, stuck my finger in the wrong place yesterday and got a good bite on my index finger trying to break up the mele. Very frustrating to see this kind of behavior. Been going on for over a year. The male dog gets bit in the ear but she never draws blood ( until yesterday, me).

Emma's Mom

I have 2, three year olds, a mini female at 12 lbs and a tweenie at 18 lbs both neutered. The mini is very aggressive towards the bigger male and the aggression starts as she is on my lap. I guess the obvious answer is to not let her sit on my lap but would entertain suggestions or thoughts. I do have a muzzle which I have used on occasion. I think this is a case of possessiveness with me as the possession. I, for the 1st time, stuck my finger in the wrong place yesterday and got a good bite on my index finger trying to break up the mele. Very frustrating to see this kind of behavior. Been going on for over a year. The male dog gets bit in the ear but she never draws blood ( until yesterday, me).
I had a male dachshund that we raised since he was a puppy and he became aggressive to others. At that time, we also had another older male and a female. He would be very aggressive at meal time...we had to feed him in the kennel to keep him from attacking others. We tried everything but he remained aggressive...when the other two passed and it was him only, he was very happy he didn’t have to share. I tried to adopt another but he would growl at others, so we decided he would remain an only child. Sorry I don’t have a solution...we just had to keep close eye on him and always separate at meal time. When our female became blind he was worse...we felt he was taking advantage of her weakness and wanting to be the alpha dog.

Emma's Mom

This was Teddy, the one that was aggressive. He was very sweet to us...just not to other dogs. He passed in 2015 of bladder cancer...we loved him and each one dearly. I now have my 9th dachshund, Emma...have had dachshunds since 1981.424308DA-B0C2-4F7D-9220-C22EC715F0B4.jpeg

CaseyKC

I asked a similar question in a Facebook group about my Annie who barks her foolish head off if anyone, including my husband comes through the door. Annie has been to classes, failed miserably, seen a trainer who quit after several sessions and said he couldn't help us. Annie really isn't aggressive, but looks and sounds that way if anyone comes close to me or enters our home. It was suggested in this Facebook group that she may be resource guarding and that I am the resource she is guarding. Possibly, but I think it may be fear that she will be taken away from me. It was suggested I hire a dog behaviorist, and I consulted several, but they wanted to take her away to their training facilities for weeks, at enormous cost I might add, and I honestly do not think this is the answer because if Annie and I are visiting a friend's home, she will be very clingy with me, but does not bark. I do not have a suggestion for you, but I am currently researching resource guarding. After almost 50 years of having a dachshund, I never had this problem before, but Annie came to me at 4 years old, and all my other dachshunds were puppies when I got them.

D

Deleted member 3351

I had a male dachshund that we raised since he was a puppy and he became aggressive to others. At that time, we also had another older male and a female. He would be very aggressive at meal time...we had to feed him in the kennel to keep him from attacking others. We tried everything but he remained aggressive...when the other two passed and it was him only, he was very happy he didn’t have to share. I tried to adopt another but he would growl at others, so we decided he would remain an only child. Sorry I don’t have a solution...we just had to keep close eye on him and always separate at meal time. When our female became blind he was worse...we felt he was taking advantage of her weakness and wanting to be the alpha dog.
Thanks for your response. My female is not that bad and has never drawn blood from the larger male. Also, this only happens from time to time. I think the problem is too much lap time for the female and then she thinks she owns me and protects the territory by attacking a male. I found if I do not give her my lap whenever she wants it helps to curb or aggression. But it does happen on occasion and she goes off totally unexpectedly which makes it hard to predict. I Accidentally stuck my finger in between the 2 of them and got bitten good on right index finger.