Aggressive Bitting

sdw1961

I’ve been approached about a problem with a 5 year old male Dachshund named Zane that is currently being fostered in a home with many other dogs. He was neutered through the rescue.

His original family had him since he was a pup and when they surrendered him they said it was because they were moving and couldn’t have a dog. The family also had a Dachshund Pomeranian mix that was aggressive. They were truthful about the mix being aggressive, but said that Zane was very sweet and loving and slept in the bed with them. When the two dogs were separated Zane began showing signs of aggression.

The very day that the foster home took him in, another family adopted him. This family had no other pets. One month later the family returned Zane. They said that at first he was very sweet, but would not sleep in the bed with them. Then he suddenly started showing some aggressive barking at neighbors and other strangers.

Zane did well while in the foster home with the other dogs. The only aggression he displayed was barking and slightly growling at strangers that came into the house. He did growl once over one of his toys that was picked up by his foster mom, but that’s as far as it went. He barked a little at the foster mom’s tall 11 year old nephew and would not allow the nephew to pet him. Zane’s foster mom has never witnessed him biting at anyone, and he was friendly and sweet to those that came to look at him for potential adoption.

While in the foster home for a little over 2 months this lil fellow was an independent and sweet lil Doxie that was content entertaining himself with toys. The foster mom allowed all her foster dogs to sleep in the bed with her, but Zane would not sleep on the bed with them.

A second couple adopted Zane. They were made aware of his aggressive behavior towards strangers and were advised not to let him around children. They had no children, very few visitors, and no other pets.

Two months later the second adoptive couple returned Zane to the foster home. He was sweet and loving toward the couple and wouldn’t sleep in the bed with them. He would fiercely bark at neighbors and other strangers. The couple’s son was in the household on leave from the military and had his girlfriend over one evening. The girlfriend was sitting on the couch minding her own business. She wasn’t even looking at Zane and without any provocation or warning he jumped on the couch and severely bit her.

The foster mom has too many dogs to be able to keep Zane If I weren’t renting, I would like to take in this poor little guy, but sadly I have to answer to my landlord who would hit the ceiling if I asked for a third dog

Any suggestions about what may be going through this lil guy’s mind to provoke this sudden aggressive behavior? Do you know of any methods that could be implemented in correcting this behavior so that he can be happier and safely and successfully re-homed?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I have a couple of suggestions, but without seeing firsthand his issues, I cant begin to make an accurate guess as to his mental state.

My number 1 suggestion in dealing with any aggression (unless it's dangerous to do so) is handfeeding. An make him work for every piece of food (sit, down, roll over,etc. getting progressively more difficult as he learns what is expected of him) This will help him bond... it sounds as if he was bonded to the other dog, and not with humans at all, and without his "protector" He feels insecure. He needs to learn that humans are the givers and witholders of resources. And resources are anything from attention, walks, and furniture, to food, even talking to him.
I wouldn't use any corrections, he is likely insecure and wont get better with any corrections, and his being shuffled from home to home isn't helping his cause any.

Check out the book "Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive dog" by Emma Parsons... It's an excellent resource for dealing with aggression. "The Dog Vinci Code" was also an excellent book, it goes in depth into teaching dogs the proper way to play and incorporating that into training and bonding.

He needs someone willing to put in the time and effort, and not give him up for biting... he wont begin to heal without a steady home and someone willing to help him bond and trust again... his aggression will only get worse the more homes he's shuffled off to.

sdw1961

DeafDogs said:
it sounds as if he was bonded to the other dog, and not with humans at all, and without his "protector" He feels insecure.
DeafDogs said:
He needs someone willing to put in the time and effort, and not give him up for biting... he wont begin to heal without a steady home and someone willing to help him bond and trust again... his aggression will only get worse the more homes he's shuffled off to.
DeafDogs said:
Check out the book "Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive dog" by Emma Parsons... It's an excellent resource for dealing with aggression. "The Dog Vinci Code" was also an excellent book, it goes in depth into teaching dogs the proper way to play and incorporating that into training and bonding.
You have confirmed my suspicions in this particular case. I could see a pattern about his behavior in a setting with other dogs verses his setting without other canine companions. I've been very concerned about adding to his insecurities by shuffling him around so much.

I was struggling on which books to start with in learning more about dog behavior and training. This situation has helped me make the decision to start with these two books.

This poor fellow deserves so much better than what has been dealt to him so far.

sdw1961

I had the privilege of meeting Zane yesterday. He came into my house totting one of his toys. One thing I observed about him is that he is obsessed with his toy. His foster mom informed me that he has many toys and all he does is play with them instead of interacting with people or other dogs.

While visiting me Zane seemed to use his toy as a coping mechanism. He would not even acknlowledge us during the visit. He had his back to us the whole time and focused exclusively on his toy by mouthing it and doing the little digging thing to it that Dachshunds do when preparing a place to lie down.

The foster mom has taken the suggestion that she feed him by hand and he does well, but doesn’t seem to be food motivated.

Would it be correct to put all of his toys out of sight and use one of them as a motivator in trying to correct his unwanted behavior? Or would taking his toys away be cruel and just add to his stress?

I ordered the book “Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog” and it should be here this week.

Here are some pics of Zane. He’s a long-haired Dachshund, but was recently shaved at the Groomer’s.:rolleyes: The Groomer bragged on Zane and said he gave her no trouble at all during the grooming process.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Here's my advice. His toy obsession is a really, REALLY good thing! That means that the toys can be used as a motivator. Keep the toys away from him. Take a toy out to play with him often (I would suggest a dozen or more 5 minute sessions a day), only let him play with a toy at the owners say so, and put it away when the owner is done.

"The Dog Vinci Code", and "the Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson (which I am about 1/2 way through... what an amazing book!) have extensive sections on getting dogs to play proper, structured games. Retrieve and tug are both exceptional games... helps them unload their predatory impulses and tire them out mentally and physically. It also helps the dog bond. Hide and seek is also a great game for the dog. put him in a room and go hide the toy (easy ones at first) cue him to "find your toy" then help him find it... the second or third time (once he knows what's wanted) you should be able to hide it and not really help him find it. It's a really fantastic game as well. All my dogs love participating in these games, and I also use the hide and seek game with Oliver, when he's left alone (the Doxie's are in a crate, and the older dogs just want to sleep) I hide a dozen toys and treats around the room for him to find, as well as stuffed kongs)

Teaching a dog to play properly at your request is a fundamental in a dog having a strong, healthy relationship, and is a fantastic motivator for training!

sdw1961

Sara, thank you so very much for helping us through this. You are indeed a lifesaver from afar!

Robin, the foster mom of Zane, has taken your advice and is now hand-feeding Zane. She employed the suggestion to take his toys and put them up yesterday after they got home from my house. Zane decided to make his own toy out of Robin's bath robe. She took everything out of his reach so now he can't be so easily creative. :D He pouted for a while, as Dachshunds sometimes do, but when she turned the lights off for the night he crawled in the bed with her and slept above her head on her pillow. (Remember that she has a bed full of dogs). Before she went to work today, she picked Zane up and loved on him and he didn't snarl or protest in any way.

I'm sure that with a lot of patience, work, and time that Zane can be a happy boy in the future.

I just got off the phone with Robin and gave her your suggestion to do several mini play sessions with one of his toys. I also asked her if she would try and make him work for the privilege of a toy by teaching him to obey some simple commands like "sit", "stay", and "down".

None of the book stores around here have any of the books I need and my finances are slim to none. :rolleyes: Since we thought Zane was being aggressive (I believe he is just stressed from all the different moves) I figured I would start with the "Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog". I ordered it on-line and it should be here sometime this week. Do you suggest that I start with the "Dog Vinci Code" or "The Culture Clash" in order to help Zane with his underlying issue or is the "Click to Calm" a good starting point?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I think Click to Calm is a very good book to have in you're arsenal, whether for him or for future dogs.

I know what it's like not having the finances for alot of books, I've just recently been able to afford to spend alot of money on the books that I've wanted.

I've been told that every dog owner should read "The Culture Clash" and honestly, I'm in perfect agreement, so far. The Dog Vinci Code is relatively new, but I was really impressed with it, he is a trainer from Britain, and really knows his stuff.

I think you should start with Click to Calm. Then, when you can afford it (or the foster Mom can) The Dog Vinci Code... He's really into teaching dogs to play, or the Culture Clash, she's also into teaching dogs to play, but that section isn't as in depth as the TDVC. Both books are remarkable, but Ian Dunbar recommends the Culture Clash, BIG TIME... and he's honestly the best there is!

I'm glad the Foster Mom is beginning to see some improvement, He's not being allowed to be independent, and is working out that she is the holder of all things important to him... I think it'll work, and he's going to be a great little guy! Who is absolutely adorable BTW!